Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Improving guns with slow pressure build up

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:11 pm

Well, the main reason why I came up with that design is that it could be used to make a semi-automatic spudgun that fires irregular ammo with decent performance. The spud-cutter would definitely have to be made of stainless steel or something which can stand up to repeated abuse.

I'd love to put it to the test, but I've got so much going on preject-wise now and in the forseeable future that it won't be likely. I'd be honoured if someone would take up the torch :D

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Combustion Monkey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:14 pm

Well if you are looking for a semi auto, have you found a way to load irregularly sized spuds into a feed mechanism to semi cut them onto the barrel? I may be way ahead of myself on this one.

Combustion Monkey
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:08 pm

Actually, I had put some thought into it:

It would use a solenoid-operated pneumatic (mabye even spring powered if the solenoid is strong enough) ram to force the spud partway into the barrel.

The ram would be held in the enter of a bushing in front of the main valve, with holes drilled into it to let the air pass around the ram.

The feed mechanism would be gravity-fed, and controlled by a pair of solenoids. I'm not sure how it would center the spud directly in front of the cutter though. I was thinking of mabye a buildup of epoxy inside the final chamber area or something...

I'm an electronics guy, so I'd sequence it with a microcontroller, including a sensor to tell when one spud has been pushed through the barrel so it can close the valve and load another. You could even have a couple more sensors to determine the speed :D

That being said, I'm really not sure how well it would work, if at all. You ould have to make it so you could empty the spud cuttings, and the ROF certainly wouldn't be very high unless you had a high pressure source.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Combustion Monkey » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:24 pm

That is very well thought out! I wish I were more educated on electronics myself. It would open many doors to things I would love to build and just don't have the knowledge to. Thanks for the great description, and I would love to see something like that in action. I hope you get the time to build it or something like it one day!

Combustion Monkey
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:52 pm

@ turbosuper I think it would be a better idea to just build a high pressure BBMG with an o-ring to lower ROF and increase power.... your idea is ok but it requires a lot of work while not offering anything special

serious problems arise even with the simplest designs... I try to stick to the KISS rule (keep it stupid simple IIRC)

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related