Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], gopi, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Golf ball backstop?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:33 pm

that is what i used for the marble gun, stood up to thousands of hits with bolts and marbles (yes i did shoot EVERY day)...

consists of a strip of 1/4" steel about 40cm wide that is bent after the pattern in the picture, two 1/4" plates welded to the sides so the projectile does not bounce out the side and some lead to keep it upright. the lead can be replaced with a bar welded to the bottom that you force in the ground.

simple to make and REALLY strong. you just need some tools. made in a an hour at a good shop so you does not have to pay much to get it made either.

i made multiple other models aswell but not a single one of them held up against a high speed golfball...

Uten navn.jpg
Uten navn.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 388 times
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: CS » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:59 pm

As Grock suggested I have made a similar type of "hard" 45* backstop. I just used glue lams for the back stop and just threw some sand underneath it.

[Glue lams- Usually you can find 1-4' cut-offs at lumber yards for free or at least cheap. Makes a great sub-bench top too!]

I've also hung scrap carpet as well. More the better.

Last edited by CS on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Personally, I just use 100 acres or so of open land and avoid "max range" type shots.

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Do you have a hill behind you?

Take some big pieces of plywood and place them into the hill at 90*. So you have the hill and two plywood sheets that make a sort of enclosure minus the roof. Then just fill it with sand or dirt.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:01 pm

I made a backstop from particle board, but I found a marble that just went through three empty cans to bounce back with quite a bit of velocity and hit me on my cheek... :shock:
I chose the particle board because I was afraid of using a "hard" backstop with potential of shrapnel flying in random directions. But I once fired at a computer case, and that resulted in just a bit of dust.
With the particle board, the marble just penetrates in almost an inch and then bounces back!

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jook13 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:09 pm

I like jsr's idea of a sizable box (about 2x2x2 feet). Then throw a bunch of cloth in there. I couldnt get a marble at 400 psi through it.

Of course, I am also lucky enough to have hundreds of miles of forest behind me, so a backstop is not a big concern of mine.

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: sssssbooom » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:10 am

What I use is a shoe box full of paper, magazines, phone books, but your using golf balls so a bigger box and lots more paper might work. works for me anyways and it is cheap

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:39 pm

The most effective backstop I have used on my property consisted of a layer of 2 x 4 boards glued together in a 4' x 4' rectangular prism and backed with 2 sheets of plywood, with 2 layers of foam separated by plywood attached to the front. It would stop a 600fps golf ball in its tracks, and projectiles with high sectional density such as arrows and darts would be stopped before penetrating the back layer, though often marginally. I never did manage to put anything completely through it.

The most effective backstop I have ever used consisted of a giant wall of dirt - about 20' tall and 300' long. As some of you know, I live right next to a rifle range.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Major General
Major General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related