Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 42 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: al-xg, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Where to shoot help

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Where to shoot help

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:38 pm

Hey guys,
I live in Whittier in Southern CA and I am smack in the middle of endless miles of 911 speed dial happy paranoid folk. I drive up to Azusa mountains and asked around about shooting spudguns legally (I am old enough to do this lawfully by now) and was directed to the gun range. Anyway, I could get a nice 100yd long private range all day for $80. Needless to say I won't fork it over.
My only safe bet is open desert area. Anyone have any good places to shoot big, loud spudguns around here? My property is way out of the question as well. I will drive 2.5 Hrs to the hills of friggin Calico, CA if I have to, but there has to be something closer with wide open area. Any ideas?
I will be shooting golf balls with a 2x hybrid with a 6ft barrel, so I need a bit of space.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Re: Where to shoot help

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:09 pm

Moonbogg wrote:Anyone have any good places to shoot big, loud spudguns around here?

How about a suppressed barrel and taking the "loud" out of the equation?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Yeah, even in the huge, wild usa, It's hard for some people to legally shoot their spudguns. Even where I live, in redneck Kentucky, It would be hard to find a big enough space to shoot anything BIG, like your cannon around where I live. I have about a 1000' limit. Back to you, how far will you need to shoot this baby? You could just find a secluded spot in some woods, set up a thick target, aim WELL, and shoot at the target, and as before mentioned, use a silencer/supressor.....but then, being in a city that would be hard to find....I'll try to think of something :wink:

P.S. what are the california spudgun laws?

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:09 pm

I live near that area to and I had the same problem. I was thinking about going to a beach near my house that none goes to because of the rocks and the steep climb down, but thats all I could think of.

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Firearms are perfectly legal to use on the vast majority of the BLM-controlled land in SoCal. There are, of course, restrictions that are safety-based, but assuming you use your toy in a safe and sane manner, I can't imagine it being an issue.

Put it this way... I play with a lot worse things than spud guns on BLM land and I've never had a Ranger hassle me (I've had 'em ask me what I was up to, but when told they go on about their day.).

All that said... You mention Calico. May I suggest that once you hit the desert you head North rather than East? 'Tis less populated that way. Matter of fact, I'll go so far as to recommend this location....

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.3 ... 4&t=h&z=14

Trust me, spud guns will be the LEAST interesting thing around there on a Saturday afternoon. edit: WARNING, do NOT drive on the lake bed itself. You'll get stuck on that one (very odd soil). But stay on the "shore" and shoot over the "lake" and all will be golden.

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jook13 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:17 am

That sucks that you have to worry about these kind of things. Here where I live (Prescott, Arizona) I drive 10 minutes in any direction and I am in the forest or open fields. I grew up in Bishop, california. If you dont mind driving 6 or so hours, there is miles and miles of open land around there. Maybe a weekened trip. It would be worth it, take your fishing pole as well and go along the Owens river.

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
jook13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: nibbler125 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:04 am

i have no idea if spud guns are even legal. (thanks to idiots not making them correctly or shooting each other with them) i tryed looking it up for michigan but what i heard is if you can shoot a shotgun there then you should beable to shoot a potato gun without any trouble

nibbler125
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to General Spud Cannon Related