Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

pre engineered silencers...DUH!

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: SubsonicSpud » Sat May 09, 2009 12:41 am

psycix wrote:If I can find one for free, then sure, but for now I'll have to stick with fridgy.
Aren't they also heavier n stuff?

The one I have is a vane type compressor it is pretty heavy compaired to a fridge compressor but not much bigger, has a much greater flow and max pressure is about 550-600 psi definitly worth trying to get one if you can.

SubsonicSpud
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sat May 09, 2009 9:47 am

The only reason my fridgy does not go to 600 is because it has an internal leak, which caps it at 450 psi, but the pump itself can handle 600 psi without much problems. It doesnt start to slow down or make a different sound at 450. If it didnt have the internal leak it would go to 600 for sure.
I doubt if anything of the same size can be heavier then it though, it already feels like a massive block of metal.

But if I get the chance, I will try to get one. I read somewhere that vane type compressors are better.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Sat May 09, 2009 11:51 am

The good thing about a 30 minute cycle time is that you can go watch the Simpsons (or what have you) between shots. Whatever, it doesn't matter anyways ok. I have to go to a friggin wedding this afternoon so the world might as well go on ahead and blow up because my end is coming anyways.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LeMaudit » Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 am

I have to go to a friggin wedding

If it is not yours, just think that your end could be worse :D

LeMaudit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Sat May 09, 2009 12:10 pm

LeMaudit wrote:
I have to go to a friggin wedding

If it is not yours, just think that your end could be worse :D

:lol: ...Spudguns/guns are better than wives, Because you can put a silencer on them! :lol:
/[joke] ...actually when I had the money I chose the girl over the cool spud stuff I could have gotten...It was a good choice IMO that I have only regretted rarely :P

Does anyone know if a fridge compressor from a mini-fridge (about 2.5 feet cubed) can go as high as the rest???

I Just picked one up..tore it off a junked fridge, and tested it this morning.
When I cover the copper tube with my finger a few sec.s it gives impressive exhaust rapidly too!

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Sat May 09, 2009 1:03 pm

THUNDERLORD wrote: :lol: ...Spudguns/guns are better than wives, Because you can put a silencer on them! :lol:

Oh dude ahahah! That was funny. About the pump, why not just get a gas powered pump? I bet it would be fast.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sat May 09, 2009 5:49 pm

a mini-fridge
I rememeber that someone wantted to use a mini fridge but it turne out that it didn't have a compressor... if yours has a compressor then I suppose that it should be able to reach a similar pressure or even higher but with lower flow

@psycix I'd like to get one too but AC isn't as popular in europe as it is in the US and A... acctually it might be easier and cheaper to simply use several fridge compressors at once

@subsonicspud could you post some pics and measure its flow ?
how much time does it take to fill 1 L to 500 psi... or something like that?

you know I would like to have some data to compare whether it's economical and practical to switch to AC compressors

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SubsonicSpud » Sun May 10, 2009 4:36 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:
a mini-fridge
I rememeber that someone wantted to use a mini fridge but it turne out that it didn't have a compressor... if yours has a compressor then I suppose that it should be able to reach a similar pressure or even higher but with lower flow

@psycix I'd like to get one too but AC isn't as popular in europe as it is in the US and A... acctually it might be easier and cheaper to simply use several fridge compressors at once

@subsonicspud could you post some pics and measure its flow ?
how much time does it take to fill 1 L to 500 psi... or something like that?

you know I would like to have some data to compare whether it's economical and practical to switch to AC compressors

I'll do some more exact test to see how long it takes to fill up my fire extinguisher tank, I don't have a 1L tank that can take that sort of pressure. Also the volume of the compressor body is presurized so it would make it very inacurate to measure the fill time of a small chamber.

Subsonicspud

SubsonicSpud
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun May 10, 2009 8:18 am

well if you have a larger one that's even better

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sun May 10, 2009 4:56 pm

a gas powered pump

I'd love that. Maybe I could construct one, ripping up a fridge compressor and something with a gas engine, like a chainsaw or a lawn mower.

If I go spudding, it is either in my backyard, or somewhere in the middle of nowhere, which, sadly does not provide a power outlet.
I was looking for a cheap car inverter or aggregate to power my fridge compressor in the middle of nowhere, but a gas powered compressor would be even nicer.

Speaking of a car, would it be possible to power a compressor directly from a car engine? Plenty of mobile power there under the hood.
And a thought on the car inverter, if I wanted to power a fridge compressor from a inverter from my car battery, how much watt inverter does it need to be?

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: LeMaudit » Sun May 10, 2009 5:33 pm

I wanted to power a fridge compressor from a inverter from my car battery

I'd be worried to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a car battery down... and... no charged cannon to defend my life against the wild :-D

Seriously, I think pumps need a lot of juice and maybe a car battery is not enough. But that's just a guess. I'd be also interested to know if someone tried that.

LeMaudit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SubsonicSpud » Mon May 11, 2009 12:19 am

psycix wrote:
a gas powered pump

I'd love that. Maybe I could construct one, ripping up a fridge compressor and something with a gas engine, like a chainsaw or a lawn mower.

If I go spudding, it is either in my backyard, or somewhere in the middle of nowhere, which, sadly does not provide a power outlet.
I was looking for a cheap car inverter or aggregate to power my fridge compressor in the middle of nowhere, but a gas powered compressor would be even nicer.

Speaking of a car, would it be possible to power a compressor directly from a car engine? Plenty of mobile power there under the hood.
And a thought on the car inverter, if I wanted to power a fridge compressor from a inverter from my car battery, how much watt inverter does it need to be?

Having an engine mounted commpressor is what I want to do for my 4x4. If there is room for a aircon compressor then you can convert one quite easly to compress air, just need to have an oiler on the input and an oil seperator on the outlet. Car aircon compressors usualy max out at about 200psi though, but have a good flow rate. Other than that, if you can make a small high pressure compressor about the same size as a car air con compressor there is no reason that could not be fitted in the engine bay.

SubsonicSpud

SubsonicSpud
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:30 am

LeMaudit wrote:
I wanted to power a fridge compressor from a inverter from my car battery

I'd be worried to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a car battery down... and... no charged cannon to defend my life against the wild :-D

Seriously, I think pumps need a lot of juice and maybe a car battery is not enough. But that's just a guess. I'd be also interested to know if someone tried that.

This thread is covering that subject. I already take a bar fridge camping instead of running to the store every few days, so there is no reason this couldn't work. There are limits to what size compressor your alternator/battery/inverter will start and run. Check this other thread on the subject.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtopic,p,243311.html#243311
I should be picking up a compressor this week as I have a field day next weekend and my hand pump died. :( The need for a compressor just got notched up one. I'm looking at getting either a 1/3 hp 2 gallon or a 1/10 hp 1 gallon pancake. A 2 HP is impractical to run off the electrical system.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Mon May 11, 2009 4:29 am

I am going to make a suppression system out of three muzzle brakes by wrapping them in a fiber of some nature, then making an outer tube held in place with o-rings that is vented out the front. After checking with my local laws of course. I think it is ok on an airgun here . It is already quieter with the bolt seal.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Mon May 11, 2009 5:31 am

Ok, after looking into the law I can own one, but I need to pay a tax of $200 here to get a registered one from a licensed manufacturer but I can't legally use it. uhh.... ok... I have decided to talk to the ATF about getting a manufacturers license, even if I can only sell this to military or law enforcement. Or it appears if I manufacture the suppressor into the barrel permanently it is legal on an airgun. I will have to research this some more. Sounds like an overly complicated issue for civilian use or my manufacture or sale until I get a firearms manufacturing license (firearms which suppressors are considered)

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related