Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 45 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Range Calculator development

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun May 10, 2009 3:00 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:Is it an option of either entering altitude OR atmospheric pressure or is it a matter of entering both for some reason(which I fail to recognize).

The two are quite distinct. In this case, atmospheric pressure is used to calculate air density. Altitude is used to calculate changes in air density, and potentially effects relating to using the Earth as a reference frame.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sun May 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Ragnarok wrote:I have considered a "Tolerance" control - but the problem is, this would then take a minimum of three times the calculation time.

I wouldnt care much about that.
How much time does one calculation take? A few seconds?
After spending many minutes entering lots of variables, a minute of calculation doesnt matter much to me.
Heck, even if it took well over 15 minutes to calculate a row of toleranced inputs I wouldnt mind.
Today's computers are fast, so give them something to chew on.
(Got dual core anyways :D)

Oh and about your "Apocalypse"
Throw it out into public. Because: Why not?
If people can't work with it because it is too advanced they don't need it. But I, and some other people, would love to take a look at it.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun May 10, 2009 7:44 pm

@psycix: I'll look into the tolerances, but again, that's probably something to sort out after the first beta.

Throw it out into public. Because: Why not?

Because as it is, there is little chance of anyone but me being able to actually operate the program.

To convert it to a more user friendly format would take me time and patience I don't have to spare to convert it to a usable state and write the guide for it.
You almost certainly don't need the accuracy, and I don't need another dang thing on my to-do list.

It may become available eventually. However, do not hold out for that being soon.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri May 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Just to provide an update, I am still working on this, but real life (the drag that it is) is encroaching on the time I have spare, so progress is a little sluggish.

I think I've got the specifics of the stability controls properly nailed down now though.
It'll cover Unstablised, rifled, spun (presumably backspin), and drag stabilised rounds - I don't think I've forgotten anything obvious on that count. (Clue me in if there is)
I do however need to make sure that the lift controls are reacting to each projectile type correctly, unlikely though significant lift might be in all but the spin case.

Also, as a small thing, I'm adding in the option to use a ballistic, rather than drag coefficient - for anybody who happens to be using commercial bullets.
I'm not entirely sure I want it in there, as it creates a link with firearms I don't exactly want... but given my current "include it all" policy, it wasn't something I could really leave out.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related