Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 39 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Best connecting meathod

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks for that post Gippeto! And thanks to all the others for their opinions. Seeing as everything i know i have learnt my self(no school classes at all when it comes ot metal/wood working, i doubt we have much more than a few screw drivers and a few hammers in the whole school). I will have a look at making inside threads, I doubt it would be too difficult to learn(and its easy to practise on scrap tubes and rods) and will, as Gippeto said, provide useful in the future. I will have a look at the links you provided in a moment.

As for brazing aluminium(though the company calls it welding) technoweld seems to be the best choice(next supplyer is in Belgium, so its nothing I would consider worth while).

Crossbolting will also be looked up in a second so I will not ask what it is, however I do have one more question at Brian: What do you mean by threading with an O-ring?

Thanks for all the help, you guys are giving me great information here.

P.S. @ Gippetto: I ordered a Nylon rod today for 57 Canadian Dollars measurements are 100cm length and 3cm diameter. Im wondering if it was a rip of, any way I'v ordered it, and I assume it will hold for a long time(smallest possible length is 1m), but still I would like to know for next time.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue May 19, 2009 10:38 am

100cm, 3cm dia nylon for 57 canadian dollars? I would never pay that much for that. Look harder and you might find some cheaper stuff next time.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue May 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Damn...perhaps ill start making my own nylon... :twisted: :twisted:
It will do for now, ill remebre next time.
Also lookign at threadig using a lathe i have noticed I will need some more tools(a digital Caliper) and some more reading, thanks for the tips guys!

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Tue May 19, 2009 3:33 pm

I think BTB meant that you can add a sort of lip so that you could put there an o-ring between the pipe and and the part...

lol I know it's hard to explain so I added a pic... you can use this method to join a pipe and fittings that have a lip like this (like most BVs).. it's quite useful as you can safe a lot of teflon tape and it allows to reconfigure the gun in seconds, swap barrels etc.

PINK is an oring

Attachments
lip.JPG
lip.JPG (7.79 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue May 19, 2009 3:41 pm

Ok makes sense, good idea really! I have considered that soem tiem back.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related