Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 60 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Lathe turned pellets

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:00 am

Would a simple iron sight do for ranges between 50 and 100meters for targets that are 15x15cm? Could you recomend a mid dot reticle with rails and all for somehting around 40$?

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: al-xg » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:11 am

Although not suitable for long ranges due to highish drag, I found cast (that was my only means of manufacture) diabolo pellets give stable flight and very good accuracy as far as spudguns are concerned.
The most "avanced" bit of tooling used was a poor man's lathe.
They do not require a riffled barrel to give reasonable results.

al-xg
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:20 am

john bunsenburner wrote:Would a simple iron sight do for ranges between 50 and 100meters for targets that are 15x15cm?

It's of course possible but an optical sight would make things much easier.

Have you looked around ebay, how about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-TASCO-3-9x40-RB ... 1|294%3A50

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: USGF » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:40 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:One question, can i use aluminium for the die or does it have to be steel?
I will need a grinder for my HSS blanks to make tools so really i guess it might be do able.

You can make it from aluminum. If you decide to pour lead, I think any grade of aluminum will work. The softer grades will be harder to cut clean and will not be very durable. If you are going to try cold forming, I doubt aluminum will hold up for more than a few rounds. Lead is soft but will generate high erosive forces in the dies. All the sharp edges on the parting line will round out rapidly. This means the round will soon have a large flash line. If you start with a block too thin it will soon distort so try using a thick block. ~20-25 mm for a 6-8mm round.

Steel will result in much more durable die/mold. You need to spray with corrosion control after every use.

USGF

USGF
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:01 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:Would a simple iron sight do for ranges between 50 and 100meters for targets that are 15x15cm? Could you recomend a mid dot reticle with rails and all for somehting around 40$?

How about a green laser sight for Less than $40?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13137

I did a drawing of it. See the sketchup posting.

dewey-1
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:26 am

Well really i would prefer a scope or red dot sight over a laser sight. a laster sight works nearly exclusively in the dark, and isn't as authentic as a proper scope...I am sure ill find one...

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:49 am

Hmm. For some reason I missed this topic, and that was stupid of me.

Firstly, and with no offence intended, I'm not sure you understand the requirements for accurate shooting at those ranges. With your specifications, it's at best going to be a horrendously difficult challenge.
You might get away with 100 metre ranges with the kind of specifications you're giving off, but with an unsaboted ~5mm projectiles and sane pressures, you aren't going to be up to shooting at much greater ranges than that with the modest initial launch angles required for accurate shooting.

As I've said before, I honestly believe that spudguns can manage decent accuracy at longer ranges. The problem is that doing that kind of thing much beyond a hundred metres takes kinetic energy in a quantity a ~5mm airgun simply can't offer.
Remember though, lack of raw power is not the only issue here, and projectile design at these ranges is highly important, particularly at low velocity. These pellet designs are not very friendly in that regard.
They'll be fine at shorter ranges, but they don't have the ballistic coefficients needed for longer ones.

Still, don't give up on the idea of long range shooting if it's what you want to do, but you will need to take a different route. As many people know, I've been working towards that goal myself for what must be years now, and I'd still like to be able to coax a spudgun into going sub-MOA at 400 metres.

Now, I know that people are going to think that sounds next to impossible, but then again... it is me. :twisted:

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:55 am

I've been waiting for this post from you, the main reason I posted such irritating and exaggerated goals. Would you recommend working more on the projectile design or the gun design, which one of the two is more important, easier?
Really i would like to use commercial pellets in the right diameter, so is there anything(that wasn't mentioned) that i would need to keep in mind for a highly accurate, long range air gun?
Thanks for all the help and comments!

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:Well really i would prefer a scope or red dot sight over a laser sight. a laster sight works nearly exclusively in the dark, and isn't as authentic as a proper scope...I am sure ill find one...

This sight works during the daylight and is very intense.
One of the reasons for the green, is it does show up better at lower power ratings during the daylight.

Checkout moonbogg's video. He is the one that told me about this sight.

dewey-1
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:10 pm

I live on the top of a hill, EVERYTHING is green, i doubt the sight will help much during the day.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:21 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:I live on the top of a hill, EVERYTHING is green, i doubt the sight will help much during the day.

It will probably even show up better.

Middle of the day I can see the spot easily at 200 yards against all kinds of different shades of green.

If you have never seen one you can not make comments like that.

dewey-1
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:25 pm

I am assuming these things, also a european supplyer or location is important.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:30 pm

dewey-1 wrote:
john bunsenburner wrote:I live on the top of a hill, EVERYTHING is green, i doubt the sight will help much during the day.

It will probably even show up better.

Middle of the day I can see the spot easily at 200 yards against all kinds of different shades of green.

If you have never seen one you can not make comments like that.

He can't have doubts? I have doubts about enjoying burning my retinas out with an IR lamp. I don't need to do it to have these doubts...

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:47 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:I am assuming these things, also a european supplyer or location is important.

For that price which included shipping, you will only get them from China.
I ordered mine and a week later it came registered mail.

If you can not order online you will have a problem for that price.

dewey-1
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:49 pm

online is ok, but or ebay and the like it shoudl be located in Europe.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related