Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 88 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 85 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Lathe turned pellets

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Not really, pellets are still ammo, and it would be made on a lathe, thanks for your opinion, i hope I'll be able to make this work when the panning is done.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:22 pm

With my 36"x.40 blowdart barrel, 3/4"qev, 1.5"x14" chamber, 140psi, and remington nails I can consistently(without a scope or sights) hit a 1ft circle at 100+yds and the nails are 2" plus into solid wood and perfectly straight....

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:12 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:... to ensure spin is not imparted to the projectile because it would hurt accuracy.

This is rather because few rifled barrels will have the right rate of spin, which would then cause stability problems.

This is rather like how a spinning top will wobble at some rotational rates, but be perfectly stable at others. Rifling rates for a standard projectile can cause this instability in a long projectile.

Relatively slow spin on a dart will do its stability no harm, but can improve accuracy by averaging aerodynamic flaws that would otherwise cause it to curve off course.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to General Spud Cannon Related