Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

More CO2 confusion....

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
More CO2 confusion....

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:04 am

The more I use co2, the more I realize I don't know about it...

Last nite while shooting glowsticks with my copper chambered minimodgun and a 3/4" barrel and unregged co2, I noticed the chamber was getting warm, my first thought was that it was my body heat from holding it, but as i fired it more and more it started getting real hot, so i grabbed my infrared thermometer and started taking readings(after i installed a bike grip to keep from burning my hand) and it actually got up to 147f.... now, the filler connection was ice cold,but the chamber was toastie to say the least...

Now the filler was cold from the expansion cooling, but I didn't think that co2 would generate that kind of temp rise in a chamber... am I just looney??? or is it creating that much heat from the recompression of the gas in the chamber???

I had noticed the same thing on the decimater but I just chalked it up to hot days and iron chambers...

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:08 am

How quickly do you fill your chamber? That's definitely where the answer lies.

Also, copper is extremely conductive.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:28 am

I forgot to add the pic of the gun... so here it is(shown with the .40" barrel), the filler is a paintball qd w/check screwed into the empty(in the picture) part of the T...

filling takes about 2 seconds, filling from a 50lb co2 tank(non diptube valved)...

Attachments
copminimod.jpg

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:37 am

When I get my SCUBA tank filled at the dive shop I have to leave it for a few hours because they fill it, let it cool down then top it up. Same goes for filling my paintball tank from the SCUBA, it gets very hot.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:42 am

I think you'll find that rapid filling causes it really. The cooling from expansion will be absorbed throughout the regulator/bottle (which would conduct the temp. well, being aluminum I suppose), then rapid filling causes heating in the chamber.

Simple enough

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 am

inonickname wrote:I think you'll find that rapid filling causes it really. The cooling from expansion will be absorbed throughout the regulator/bottle (which would conduct the temp. well, being aluminum I suppose), then rapid filling causes heating in the chamber.

Simple enough

That's kinda what i was thinking but wasn't entirely sure... could this effect be what's causing my higher than expected performance in the decimater... the chamber temp is spiking due to fast filling, resulting in a higher sos and faster expansion due to the higher sos???

Still not sure of sos shots, but It does exceed what would be expected for 80f co2...

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 am

jeepkahn wrote:
inonickname wrote:I think you'll find that rapid filling causes it really. The cooling from expansion will be absorbed throughout the regulator/bottle (which would conduct the temp. well, being aluminum I suppose), then rapid filling causes heating in the chamber.

Simple enough

could this effect be what's causing my higher than expected performance in the decimater... the chamber temp is spiking due to fast filling, resulting in a higher sos and faster expansion due to the higher sos???

Definitely. CO2's pressure and particle S.O.S. is highly dependent on temperature, more so than oxygen, nitrogen and so on..

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to General Spud Cannon Related