Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Silly Questions!

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Silly Questions!

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:45 am

I have been a long time believer in that there is are no dumb questions!

If members would at least fill out their profile with their location, it would reduce the redundancy of back and forth messages that have no relevancy to the original question or posting statements.

The location does not have to be a town or city, but at least a state or province in some country. At minimum a country or continent would be helpful!

When ever questions are posted I refer to the profile of the person to give me clues how to answer the question/statement but I find that 99% of the time it is blank.

If active members and new members could do that, it would help immensely!

Granted a few may want to be anonymous, but not almost everyone?
  • 0

User avatar
dewey-1
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:24 am
Location: NE Wisconsin USA
Reputation: 0

Re: Silly Questions!

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:03 am

dewey-1 wrote:I have been a long time believer in that there is are no dumb questions!

I always preferred: "There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

I very much agree with the sentiment of this topic. It's much easier to help if you know where who you're talking to is from, at least as precisely as a country or State.
I go to look to know what advice to give... and then no answer.

As I write this, of our 7444 members, only 545 have a location in their profile (less than 1 in 14) - and some of those are joke locations.
  • 0

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
User avatar
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:23 am
Location: The UK
Reputation: 8

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:38 pm

I have found that every now and then somebody will ask a simple question, then I'll check their username and profile for clues as to their whereabouts, and upon answering the question assuming they are residing in the US (after all, most of our members are from there, according to the "Where are you from?" poll), I get a condescending answer from a snide European or Australian, Canadian, etc.

I agree that it's wrong to assume people are from the same country as you with no basis at all, or without checking usernames/profiles, but if you want helpful information specific to your region, then you should really put where you reside in your profile. Also, don't rely on former posts to provide this information. People are not going to read all of your previous posts just to find out where you live when it'll take you 3 seconds to fill out what region you come from in your profile.
  • 0

User avatar
mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3465
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 21

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:20 pm

That is exactly why not to assume.
The most recognized members on the forum have their location designated.

Even jsr's secret bat cave at least has an approximate location.

The location replies always show up after several suggestions to the question/problem.

Most that do not indicate their location in their profile, reveal it any way on their posting!

You can usually find someone's location just by looking at all there postings like Mark stated previously. So much for being anonymous.

Just a friendly reminder PLEASE;
If you are reading this posting, take a few seconds and update your profile location!

It will help every one in the long run.
  • 0

User avatar
dewey-1
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:24 am
Location: NE Wisconsin USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:47 pm

dewey-1 wrote:Ever heard of the 90/10 Rule?

Indeed, but there's also the pessimistic version:
"90% of a project takes the first 90% of the time, and the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time."

This seems to be the problem with most of my projects.

Most that do not indicate their location in their profile, reveal it any way on their posting!

When I did a check on the locations of the Top 100 posters, although most of the Top 30 have a location in their profile, I found that it got less common with less posts.
However, almost every single one of those people's locations could be found with a search for posts they had made with the word "live" in them.
  • 0

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
User avatar
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:23 am
Location: The UK
Reputation: 8

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:51 pm

[quote="Ragnarok"]
Indeed, but there's also the pessimistic version:
"90% of a project takes the first 90% of the time, and the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time."[quote]
And the realistic version "90% of everything is crap"

Back on topic, sure would be nice if a person's location showed up with their post count and name in the forum.

To help get people to actually enter a location perhaps the default location could be set to something like "I'm an idiot and didn't enter a location".
  • 0

Image

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:34 pm

jimmy101 wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:Indeed, but there's also the pessimistic version:
"90% of a project takes the first 90% of the time, and the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time."
And the realistic version "90% of everything is crap"

Back on topic, sure would be nice if a person's location showed up with their post count and name in the forum.

To help get people to actually enter a location perhaps the default location could be set to something like "I'm an idiot and didn't enter a location".


I'll second that motion...
  • 0

My Cannons can be found by clicking the following link.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#256896

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Triad, NC, USA
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Return to General Spud Cannon Related

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'