Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MCRKilljoy, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Cannon energy contest

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:18 am

Q tips aren't consistent enough. We all have different brands with different weight, length, toughness and other factors. Also there is some difference between two identical Q tips, they are not designed to be constant. BB's are.

And, there is no true spudgunner that will regret buying a bag of BB's. You will always find some use for it. Be it a for BB launcher, cloud/vortex, or for a simple buckshot from a larger gun.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:27 am

Ok; where do we draw the line between complete scientific accuracy and giving anyone a fair go? I'm not going to spend $30 on a shipment of airsoft bb's to prove my gun works.

Another up for Q-tips; they will fit a multitude of barrel sizes with flaring out, squishing etc.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:33 am

inonickname wrote:Ok; where do we draw the line between complete scientific accuracy and giving anyone a fair go? I'm not going to spend $30 on a shipment of airsoft bb's to prove my gun works.

Another up for Q-tips; they will fit a multitude of barrel sizes with flaring out, squishing etc.

:D I don't have any cannons that small.. :D Is launching the box full OK?

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:18 am

Another down for Q-tips:
Q tips just look so wimpy. :roll:

Imagine this conversation:
"Hey man whats your hobby?"
"Oh I build pneumatic cannons"
"Sounds awesome, are your cannons powerful?"
"Yeah they launch projectiles very far and very fast, over 200 or even 300 m/s!"
"Wow cool! What do you launch? Marbles, paintballs, lead sinkers, ball bearings....??"
"No, just Q-tips"
"Ehh.. what?"

Just find a good source and buy a box of BB's. Its worth it. By the way, to advance in spudding, you will have to approach some "scientific accuracy".

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:51 am

I have done plenty of scientifically accurate tests in regards to launching projectiles. However, I believe that a Q-tip has plenty of accuracy to compare amateur projectile launching devices for comparison on an internet forum.

"Hey man whats your hobby?"
"Oh I build pneumatic cannons"
"Sounds awesome, are your cannons powerful?"
"Yeah they launch projectiles very far and very fast, over 200 or even 300 m/s!"
"Wow cool! What do you launch? Marbles, paintballs, lead sinkers, ball bearings....??"
"No, just Q-tips"
"Ehh.. what?"

I've had similar responses to my q-tip gun. Hell, some of them even offer to let me shoot them with it. Their mind soon changes when a q-tip splits the can in half.

over 200 or even 300 m/s

In fact, my last simulation exceed 400 meters per second with air alone. It would go up a LOT with hydrogen. (yes, there are factors which are causing that level of velocity).
With 13.4 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. These cotton buds would be illegal in the UK without a firearms licence.

Q tips just look so wimpy.

Ok, so you cower in fear when someone threatens to shoot you with a colorful plastic bead?

If it's one of the contest requirements, I may just purchase some bb's. Hell, I could get more performance given the .1mm increase in o.d. and available in lesser weights (I average a pack of Q-tips at 0.2g).

If I must spend money to prove myself on the internet...Then bring it on :twisted:

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:11 am

Reminds me of spectators to some serious marshmallow contesting. :D One of the guys I shoot with has gone supersonic with marshmallows. I'll be there soon. 100 PSI is just a little short. I am fast enough to bust open soda cans and dent car doors with marshmallows. :D

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: CpTn_lAw » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:21 am

Well, Q-tips are not really that strong...I just shot one at 150 psi in the piston rifle...well, it is no more :D (or at least, it would require a lot of speleological searching in the garage to find all the bits ^^)

I'd go for BB's... 400 psi, 0.2 gram BB!

"J'mets mes pieds où j'veux, et c'est souvent dans la gueule."
CpTn_lAw
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:43 am

LOL@ launching box full of BBs. Count me in!

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:18 am

Moonbogg wrote:LOL@ launching box full of BBs. Count me in!

If you want to impress spectators, launch a couple rolls of adding machine tape at very high speed.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:47 am

Haha, i just thought of something that should be uniform on most countries...Condoms!!!

Anyway, it sounds like a good idea, but i don't know about the organisation, lots to work on. But looks good. I still don't know if we have a non- pneumatic/combustion/hybrid contest or not...

Anyway keep discussing, this might become intresting!

Last edited by john bunsenburner on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:30 pm

Haha, i just thought of something that should be uniform on most countries...Condoms!!!

Nehh, in our country the condoms are much larger... :P

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:58 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:I still don't know if we have a non- pneumatic/combustion/hybrid contest or not...

Not entirely sure. If they are included, it's going to have to be a different category.

I'd personally like to know that we're not just going to see everyone just go in that direction and reduce the competition to a simple matter of size over actual design.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:14 pm

The idea of using a velocity contest for the same projectile cancels out the size factor significantly.
An high pressure and a good valve are more important.

EDIT:
I think we should ban burstdisks for all pneumatics. No innovation to find there.

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:47 pm

I say screw innovation and go for velocity. We already had a huge innovation contest and we all saw how that turned out.

EDIT: If one wants to build a cannon with a Ø12" chamber and sabbot a BB, so be it.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:42 pm

psycix wrote:I think we should ban burstdisks for all pneumatics. No innovation to find there.

I disagree.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related