Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 84 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 79 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Places to buy seamless pipe?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:09 pm

How much pressure are you using? I bought 6061-T6 pipe from onlinemetals for 2 hybrids and they haven't exploded. I looked closely at the inside of the pipe and it was extremely smooth and uniform in color and texture. I assume its seamless but can't be certain. I know its plenty strong though.

Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: kjjohn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:47 pm

I will be using a 6x mix in a 3"dia by 18" sch 80 aluminum pipe. Did you order pipe or tube, because the tube is definitely seamless. HGDT predicts a maximum chamber pressure of about 1000psi. That is why I'm using sch80. For a while, I was toying with the idea of making a smaller, possibly even automatic hybrid, however, the heat and pressure issues would make it practically impossible, so I am going with this design, which I came up with quite a while ago, and I am sure will work.

The weird thing is, I actually emailed OnlineMetals, and they told me that their pipe is welded, but I can't be sure if you ordered and got seamless pipe.

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to General Spud Cannon Related