Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Breaking Point

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Breaking Point

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:23 am

Did anyone watch the new episode of breaking point that was on earlier? They used a propane/air mixture to blow up a house, and their methodology was actually quite good. They piped in the propane through the furnace supply tube, and used the house's air circulation system to mix it with the air and distribute it throughout the house. They also measured the air/fuel ratio, and timed the ignition system to activate when a fairly close to stoichiometric mixture was achieved.

The blast was spectacular, and the slow motion replay showed that the ratio/mixing was decent. Had I been doing it, I would have set up several fans in multiple rooms to increase turbulence and improve mixing, but the execution was surprisingly good for something showcased on the Discovery channel - certainly much better than the Mythbusters' attempts.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Re: Breaking Point

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:30 am

SpudBlaster15 wrote:certainly much better than the Mythbusters' attempts.

In their defence, their "bug bomb" feature was not aimed at creating a perfect mix to blow up a house, but rather to see if it was possible to create a combustible mixture using available fumigation products, in that respect their experiment was a success.

SpudBlaster15 wrote:the execution was surprisingly good for something showcased on the Discovery channel.

I think it's the viewing public's fault, not the producers'...

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Breaking Point

Unread postAuthor: McCoytheGreater » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:I think it's the viewing public's fault, not the producers'...

Fantastic source, JSR. I get all of my up to date news information from the Onion. Better than FOX or CNN any old day.

McCoytheGreater
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:36 am

SILVER SPRING, MD—Frustrated by continued demands from viewers for more awesome and extreme programming, Science Channel president Clark Bunting told reporters Tuesday that his cable network was "completely incapable" of watering down science any further than it already had.

Getting closer, only 1 1/2 hour's away (give or take depending on traffic). :D

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: IMagius » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:54 am

Excellent moment on Breaking Point. It was a rather spectacular way to demolish a house :P

Gotta love the Onion for "reliable" news :lol: I always make sure to use it when I want to confirm an article in the Enquirer ;)

IMagius
Private
Private

Return to General Spud Cannon Related