Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Best hose for use with propene?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Best hose for use with propene?

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:15 pm

What's the best for spudding? I bought some silicone 5mm which has not leaked or slipped without hose clips, very pleased.
I also bought some 10mm uPVC hose which leaks like a sieve, even with hose-clips and hot glue, no use at all to me!

uPVC seems more rigid than silicone so I'm putting it down to that, but out of silicone and (cheaper) rubber would rubber perform equally? Would silicone degrade usefully slower?

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:09 pm

I would think that the ones you find on a gas grill would work pretty good. They are rated to 300psi to.

Otherwise, the standard compressed air hoses for compressors and welders has worked for me.

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:30 pm

I prefer to use braided stainless steel faucet hoses for most applications. They come in 6" - 3ft lengths, and typically have a 1/2" female NPT connection on one end, and 3/8" female compression threads on the other. With a few fittings, they are simple to adapt to any system, and I've tested them at up to 300PSI with no leaks or structural failures.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:39 pm

I forgot to mention a crucial point is that the hose must seal nicely to hosetails, and one connection is clamped straight to a blowtorch head, hence the 3 options i gave. :)
Even if it was for something which could use threads or compression i think i would go for plastic in such a low pressure application as it is lighter and more flexible, and can be but to whatever size.

Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Biopyro wrote:I forgot to mention a crucial point is that the hose must seal nicely to hosetails

Why couldn't you replace the hose barb with a male NPT threaded coupler and connect the threaded end of a braided stainless hose to one of the ends, and the other to the metering system?

...and one connection is clamped straight to a blowtorch head, hence the 3 options i gave.

Torch heads typically use 1/4" female compression threads in the outlet port. Simply unscrew the curved brass nozzle from the body (Might take a bit of effort, as it's typically sealed with medium strength threadlocker), replace it with a 1/4" male to 3/8" male compression adapter, then thread the smaller end of the stainless hose onto the adapter. Done. Much stronger, better sealing, and less ghetto than hose clamps and slip connections.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:50 pm

then you might as well use push-to-connect fittings and tubing... I suppose you can't find anything smaller than 4X2mm tubing

lol it's not that I mention it all the time, right ?? :D

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Wound up getting the silicone, and thank goodness I did!
Silicone does not leak, and just uses a hose clip to stay attached. It doesn't need hot glue etc, and is much thicker walled. Well worth the £3 extra.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to General Spud Cannon Related