Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 45 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

HGDT Paid Challenge - $50

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:42 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Oh yeah wow, I didn't notice how much the chamber pressure increased with the extra 9 ignition points. Jumps up to around 20,000PSI, for an increase of about 10ms.

Is there a problem with sticking a longer barrel on it? Hybrids aren't very portable to begin with, especially one like this.

No I think that's what I'll do, put a longer barrel on it. This is really just a concept design so I shouldn't be too concerned with those sorta things anyway.

[quote="ramses"]All right, I got 799 m/s. But for a real design IT WILL NEVER WORK. suffice to say that the aspect ratio of the chamber is... well... *em*

HGDT reports the maximum chamber pressure as 221ksi, but the graph only shows a peak at around 16ksi. It is also extremely inconsistent in that the velocity varies 200m/s between runs with identical parameters./quote]

I've noticed that as well. After running the sim I change an input, run the sim, then change it back and run it again, different results... But for now I think it is still the best way to optimise the gun.

Once I get Solidworks down pat I'll upload the design for you all to have a look over

Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:37 am

After running the sim I change an input, run the sim, then change it back and run it again, different results...

I thought I was going crazy. Noticed that in the past as well, never mentioned it though.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:16 am

David did say when things quieten down again for him that he'll be combining GGDT and HGDT together, and will hopefully solve some of these errors. Someday

Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:24 pm

I can't get more than about 615 m/s within those limits and a practically achievable real world design - and that's using some of the dirtiest cheats I can think of.

ramses wrote:HGDT reports the maximum chamber pressure as 221ksi, but the graph only shows a peak at around 16ksi.

Bear in mind that the graph does not show all data points, just every 25th one (I think). It's perfectly possible to have a peak between those that doesn't show on the graph.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Ragnarok wrote:I can't get more than about 615 m/s within those limits and a practically achievable real world design - and that's using some of the dirtiest cheats I can think of.

ramses wrote:HGDT reports the maximum chamber pressure as 221ksi, but the graph only shows a peak at around 16ksi.

Bear in mind that the graph does not show all data points, just every 25th one (I think). It's perfectly possible to have a peak between those that doesn't show on the graph.

I realized that shortly after I typed most of the post, but I still wanted to get the meme in there. Also, I misspoke (mistyped) when I said the chamber pressure exceeded 221ksi. That was actually the peak barrel pressure. A 0.25cm chamber opening into a 2.1cm barrel would not produce such peak pressures.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Jolly Roger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:25 am

ramses wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:I can't get more than about 615 m/s within those limits and a practically achievable real world design - and that's using some of the dirtiest cheats I can think of.

I realized that shortly after I typed most of the post, but I still wanted to get the meme in there. Also, I misspoke (mistyped) when I said the chamber pressure exceeded 221ksi. That was actually the peak barrel pressure. A 0.25cm chamber opening into a 2.1cm barrel would not produce such peak pressures.

Technically it may be able to but if the chamber diameter is smaller than the barrel, I dont see how the barrel pressure would be higher than the chamber.

Jolly Roger
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:
ramses wrote:...

Technically it may be able to but if the chamber diameter is smaller than the barrel, I dont see how the barrel pressure would be higher than the chamber.

I know :D

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related