Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Is your spud gun visible from space?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:29 pm

pff..
Showoff..

Now I would be impressed if you'd make it a sawn-off and did a couple of bowlingball-buckshot vids...

:D


Just kidding!!
great work and very cool to show off to some of my friends.
  • 0

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
User avatar
Brian the brain
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3494
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:06 am
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands (nl)
Reputation: 29

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Fair point.

jimmy101 wrote:Still, it is a great thread title. :D


And not only on this forum :)


Yeah, I admit that...

1) You've worked on something this damned long.

And....

2) You have such a great damned thread title....

You have to share. Or at least, I do. I'm weak that way.

Besides, the whole point of the video is marketing. That means I have to get it seen. I suppose that makes me a spammer of sorts, but at least my spam is kinda cool to look at, right?
  • 0

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
User avatar
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: SoCal
Reputation: 6

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:01 pm

D_Hall wrote:Besides, the whole point of the video is marketing. That means I have to get it seen. I suppose that makes me a spammer of sorts, but at least my spam is kinda cool to look at, right?
Just don't monetize your YouTube account or you'll never hear the end of it :D

Didn't realise (or had forgotten) that you started with the name VERA and then figured out what it stands for; was it hard to convince your bosses or are they not too bothered as long as the acronym sounds alright and actually stands for some relatively close to what the gun is?
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:10 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Didn't realise (or had forgotten) that you started with the name VERA and then figured out what it stands for; was it hard to convince your bosses or are they not too bothered as long as the acronym sounds alright and actually stands for some relatively close to what the gun is?


That.

I did, however, bring in the Firefly DVD set and show them the "Vera" scene as part of a staff meeting. 8)
  • 0

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
User avatar
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: SoCal
Reputation: 6

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:13 am

D_Hall wrote:Besides, the whole point of the video is marketing. That means I have to get it seen. I suppose that makes me a spammer of sorts, but at least my spam is kinda cool to look at, right?


Couldn't agree more, I took the liberty of forwarding the link to a couple of gun/defence blogs I read.

Just don't monetize your YouTube account or you'll never hear the end of it :D


That right there is the voice of experience :D
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:38 am

Just a note, in the video description it should be "its" and not "it's".

And re-watching the video... I'm blown away that the bright flash is just from the sabot hitting the catcher. I was sure it was muzzle blast upon first watching it, and completely missed the fact it starts after the muzzle brake. Phenomenal footage.
  • 0

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
User avatar
Insomniac
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Australia
Country: Australia (au)
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:50 am

Insomniac wrote:And re-watching the video... I'm blown away that the bright flash is just from the sabot hitting the catcher. I was sure it was muzzle blast upon first watching it, and completely missed the fact it starts after the muzzle brake. Phenomenal footage.
Perhaps D_Hall should add the bit about that as an annotation in the video to give some perspective of how much energy the gun is dealing with.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:57 am

MrCrowley wrote:Perhaps D_Hall should add the bit about that as an annotation in the video to give some perspective of how much energy the gun is dealing with.


Projectile weight and velocity are stated in the video.

Would you prefer a pop-science "one megajoule of energy is equivalent to a 1-ton car thrust at 100 MPH" sort of comparison

Image

:D
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:00 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
MrCrowley wrote:Perhaps D_Hall should add the bit about that as an annotation in the video to give some perspective of how much energy the gun is dealing with.


Projectile weight and velocity are stated in the video.

I mean D_Hall saying "this bright flash is the aluminium sabot catcher (or whatever) being ignited by pure kinetic energy" :wink:
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:19 am

Fine, you have more experience with selling these videos to the public than I do ;)
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Fine, you have more experience with selling these videos to the public than I do ;)
Surprised I didn't ask D_Hall to colour correct his high speed footage? :D
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 pm

MrCrowley wrote:
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
MrCrowley wrote:Perhaps D_Hall should add the bit about that as an annotation in the video to give some perspective of how much energy the gun is dealing with.


Projectile weight and velocity are stated in the video.

I mean D_Hall saying "this bright flash is the aluminium sabot catcher (or whatever) being ignited by pure kinetic energy" :wink:


Sorry, but not gonna do it.

As the primary purpose of the video posting is marketing, I'm restricting comments and such to "business oriented" type comments and questions. I know some of ya have commented on the video and I'm sure I've not made any friends by not approving the comments, but while I'm all for everybody seeing the video, I want the video page to look less, "Kewl Dudz!" and more "Yes, sir, we offer that service."

I hope that makes sense (and that I don't offend anyone where).
  • 0

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
User avatar
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: SoCal
Reputation: 6

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:16 am

The great thing about youtube is that it reaches everyone with internet access. Unfortunately that includes the 50% of the population with a below average IQ.

I never answer comments on youtube, any queries are directed to this forum :)
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:41 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:The great thing about youtube is that it reaches everyone with internet access. Unfortunately that includes the 50% of the population with a below average IQ.

I never answer comments on youtube, any queries are directed to this forum :)


And for the gee-whiz crowd, that's likely to be where I'll go. But if I get a question that obviously comes from my intended audience... Well, then, that's different.
  • 0

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
User avatar
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: SoCal
Reputation: 6

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:44 am

Have you emailed the video around to people like John Carmack? The video is one that could easily be emailed around between people of all sorts of different engineering/physics/chemistry based professions as all the relevant information is provided and it is entertaining enough for some guy at Boeing to email his friend at NASA asking when they're going to start strapping cannons like this to their rockets :wink:

I have no idea about the inner-workings of trying to market things like this and what goes on behind the scenes and I assume the company you work for has some marketing strategy in place for VERA but I just thought I would ask any way.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

cron
Reputation System ©'