Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 5 registered, 1 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], csitas, Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Can i use this pvc cleaner instead of primer or no?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Can i use this pvc cleaner instead of primer or no?

Unread postAuthor: Mihlrad » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:43 am

I bought this yellow can of pvc cleaner i think it was called. It says in the directions use before applying solvents on both pieces or something like that.

I just wanted to ask if maybe i could use this stuff instead of primer? I just hate the purple mess the primer always leaves behind. The stuff was like 2.99 at home depot. If needed i can try to take a pic of the can i cant find it on the net.

Mihlrad
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Atlantis » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:01 am

The point of primer is to soften up the PVC to allow the concrete to mix in with it to allow them to fuse better. All PVC cleaner does is remove anything ON he PVC, like paint or dirt, cleaner does'nt affect the PVC in anyway. Trade it in for a can of primer, some places sell clear primer, you could always put tape over the pipe to keep the primer stains off.

"There isn't a problem in the world that can't be solved by the proper application of explosives"
Atlantis
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Mihlrad » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:03 am

yea thats true i can just use scotch painters tape, il just do that, and i already have a can of primer , also this cleaner doesnt remove anything.... not even the numbers on the pvc so its a different cleaner.

Mihlrad
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:18 pm

The wrighting on the pipe is pretty hard to remove, acctualy.

It is indeed important to use proper primer. The cleaner you have is probably a mix of MEK and acetone (mine is), which arn't very good solvents for PVC, although they will soften it slightly.
Primer, on the other hand, is a mixture of MEK, cyclohexanone, THF, and acetone. (THF is a carciogen in animals. Do your solvent welding outside!)

Last time I was at my local hardware store, I saw some clear primer. I even took a picture, although it's on my hard drive and I don't really want to bother uploading it to the web.
It's made by oatly, or whatever that company's name is spelled, I believe.

boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: drac » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:21 pm

Leadbath, I believe that it's called Oatey, at least that's what I use,

drac

Unread postAuthor: nicholai » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:58 pm

I use Oatey High strength clear cement and clear primer, dont bother with the other crap, purple stains are gross if you dont paint it and the mid grade or waterproof pvc cement is not a good choice for spud guns if safety is your #1 concern

nicholai
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:00 am

nicholai wrote:I use Oatey High strength clear cement and clear primer, dont bother with the other crap, purple stains are gross if you dont paint it and the mid grade or waterproof pvc cement is not a good choice for spud guns if safety is your #1 concern

I am actually mixing brands right now, the primer is the clear stuff Oatey sells, and the cement stuff is some other brand. The only reason I did this was that I wanted the "heavy duty" cement and clear primer.
That clear primer does take the numbers off real well. Very good primer.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to General Spud Cannon Related