Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

teacher

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: garrettee » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:15 pm

Yuor teacher is a real dumba*s. No one has been hurt, yet. I bet your parents wouldn't let you do it. What a jacka*s.
  • 0

" It's ok for a man to commit adultry if his wife is ugly" Howard Stern

garrettee
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Louisville,Ky
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Wait, is he shooting the gun at the students, or is he firing it up so the students can catch them when they come down??
  • 0

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
User avatar
Insomniac
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Australia
Country: Australia (au)
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: StealthSpud » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:39 pm

Sounds pretty darn sweet to me! I mean I dont know if I was a student there and I got hurt i'd want it to be by a flying spud :P ! (except if i got hit in the head, which i doubt cuz id probably be looking up)

Yeah well my science teacher lets us take notes all day!! ha
  • 0

User avatar
StealthSpud
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:43 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:43 pm

pyromanic13 wrote:my teacher lets me shoot tennis balls and have kids catch them... I don't even have to ask permission to bring a potato gun in\...my school is too laxed


Wow...I'm transferring :lol:
You said his gun is only three feet long? I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he's firing it up, you should be fine. If he wants to have a 10-step duel, then you have a problem.
  • 0

sgort87 wrote:I hereby present Flying_Salt with The one and only <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sgort87/ghetto">Ghetto Award!</a>
User avatar
Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Texas
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: ProfessorAmadeus » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:49 pm

pat123 wrote:yeah I know but he has been doing for like 10 years and no ones gotten hurt.


Theres always a first time... I hope we are doing a science project soon.
  • 0

Insomniac wrote:Hey why am I a goose???? Why not somthing a little more awe inspireing, like an eagle or something? LOL

SOO CUTE!! OMG!! I COULD JUST LICK YOU!!
User avatar
ProfessorAmadeus
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:39 pm
Location: texas
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:09 am

A 3 foot long gun can still be dangerous. My first gun was only 3 feet long, and could have easily killed someone from quite a distance.
  • 0

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
User avatar
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Canada
Country: Poland (pl)
Reputation: 3

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:03 am

If hes been doing it for a while hes obviously not blasting 200mph spuds directly at students.

But yes 3' is no guide to its power.
  • 0

User avatar
Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2599
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:51 am
Location: UK
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: BC Pneumatics » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:01 am

garrettee wrote:Yuor teacher is a real dumba*s. No one has been hurt, yet. I bet your parents wouldn't let you do it. What a jacka*s.


To Garrettee and everyone else that posted something along these lines; shut up! You are the kind of idiots that get dumb ass laws passed, like not being able to run around or play tag at school, becasue God forbid you skin a knee. The guy isn't stupid enough to shoot a student in the face, and even a tater at terminal velocity wouldn't do a whole lot of damage.
It is a great thing to hear, that a teacher is out there trying to capture his student's interests, make learning fun (I assume there is a lesson that goes along with it), and bettering the image of spud guns.
You are more likely to get hit by a car while crossing the street than be hurt by this demo I'm sure. So, before you call this person 'dumba*s' for trying to do his job better than he has to, perhaps you should call your own mother a complete 'jacka*s' for ever letting you cross a street.
  • 0

<a href="http://www.bcarms.com/"><img src="http://www.bcarms.com/images/store_logo.png" border="0"> </a>
User avatar
BC Pneumatics
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: Fresno, CA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: pyromanic13 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:52 pm

BC Pneumatics wrote:To Garrettee and everyone else that posted something along these lines; shut up! You are the kind of idiots that get dumb ass laws passed, like not being able to run around or play tag at school, becasue God forbid you skin a knee. The guy isn't stupid enough to shoot a student in the face, and even a tater at terminal velocity wouldn't do a whole lot of damage.
It is a great thing to hear, that a teacher is out there trying to capture his student's interests, make learning fun (I assume there is a lesson that goes along with it), and bettering the image of spud guns.
You are more likely to get hit by a car while crossing the street than be hurt by this demo I'm sure. So, before you call this person 'dumba*s' for trying to do his job better than he has to, perhaps you should call your own mother a complete 'jacka*s' for ever letting you cross a street.


quoted for the mother freakin truth!
  • 0

Movie dialogue: "The good die first."
Tom: "But most of us are morally ambiguous, which explains our random dying
patterns."

pyromanic13
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:54 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:53 pm

Potatoes lose velocity quickly, and in this situation, probably aren't going more than 60 mph by the time they impact.

Of course, I don't have a ballistics calculator I acctualy trust.
(when will we be seeing the next 'launcher range calculator' (or whatever) anyway?)

Them "rules" are guidelines.
  • 0

User avatar
boilingleadbath
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Dom » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:51 pm

BC Pneumatics wrote:
garrettee wrote:Yuor teacher is a real dumba*s. No one has been hurt, yet. I bet your parents wouldn't let you do it. What a jacka*s.


To Garrettee and everyone else that posted something along these lines; shut up! You are the kind of idiots that get dumb ass laws passed, like not being able to run around or play tag at school, becasue God forbid you skin a knee. The guy isn't stupid enough to shoot a student in the face, and even a tater at terminal velocity wouldn't do a whole lot of damage.
It is a great thing to hear, that a teacher is out there trying to capture his student's interests, make learning fun (I assume there is a lesson that goes along with it), and bettering the image of spud guns.
You are more likely to get hit by a car while crossing the street than be hurt by this demo I'm sure. So, before you call this person 'dumba*s' for trying to do his job better than he has to, perhaps you should call your own mother a complete 'jacka*s' for ever letting you cross a street.


You APPROVE this teacher's actions? I am sorry, but a spud gun should be considered as a loaded FIREARM, and you should NEVER, under any circumstances, try to catch projectiles, that it be water bombs or a spud. Someone COULD be injured by this, and he shouldn't even TAKE the risk of seeing if someone will get hurt. Better being safe than sorry.

He can get his students interest by shooting spuds, sure, but not by making them CATCH them. It's like my science teacher in 9th grade. When we entered physics, his speciality, he bringed a big knife to school, and tried slicing a plywood by hitting it on the flat. No result. He then turned it upright and hit it between the layers (if you know what I mean).. The plywood splitted in half. He looked at us with a big smile and said : Physics kid.
  • 0

Youpee doupee, Signature ability is mine!

Dom
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:54 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: BC Pneumatics » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:57 pm

You right, if there is any possibility of injury, kids shouldn't do it. Quick, no more baseball, football, or even speed walking! The fact is that something like this is just as close to a Nerf gun as it is to a respectable firearm in muzzle energy. If kids can play with three molar hydrochloric acid in school, they can catch a f*cking potato.
  • 0

<a href="http://www.bcarms.com/"><img src="http://www.bcarms.com/images/store_logo.png" border="0"> </a>
User avatar
BC Pneumatics
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: Fresno, CA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Dom » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:00 pm

BC Pneumatics wrote:You right, if there is any possibility of injury, kids shouldn't do it. Quick, no more baseball, football, or even speed walking! The fact is that something like this is just as close to a Nerf gun as it is to a respectable firearm in muzzle energy. If kids can play with three molar hydrochloric acid in school, they can catch a f*cking potato.


There is a slight different between a sport and a potato gun. A potato gun is considered as a loaded firearm. One day a kid will be hurt, by a teacher like that, parents will complaint, and spudding will be illegal. Go ahead, give a bad image to our hobby.
  • 0

Youpee doupee, Signature ability is mine!

Dom
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:54 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: LGM » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:05 pm

What are you guys arguing about? The teacher obviously isn't going to level a potato gun at some kids and start firing! Lobing a tater vertically and catching it is loads of fun, I did it at a birthday party last year. Had a bunch of people with baseball gloves running around in a field trying to catch apples.
  • 0


LGM
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:06 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:17 pm

I agree with LGM, guys.

I'm sure this teacher knows what he's doing. It's probably a pretty small spud gun with an underpowered c:b ratio, and he's probably lobbing them way up high so they have pretty low energy when they get back down to the ground.

The only thing that could go wrong is if a student didn't see one, and it hit him/her in the head. Even then, it wouldn't be fatal. As long as the students are paying attention and watching above them, this should be perfectly safe.

I'd bet the lesson includes basic aerodynamics and/or angles of trajectory. Maybe terminal velocity and/or energy transfer, too. Could be very educational and definitely fun. Stop bashing it.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.
  • 0

User avatar
Pete Zaria
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Reputation: 0

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'