Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Safety with Spud Guns!!! Urgent!

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Safety with Spud Guns!!! Urgent!

Unread postAuthor: akaddis » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:31 am

Note: Moderators...I don't know exactly where to put this post, so i put it in the General Section. Feel free to move it as necessary.

I just came across a news article from CBS (apparently its old), but it really made me think and about the danger of "homemade" guns. I just want to reiterate the importance of safety

----

CBS) Just when 17-year-old Daniel Berry's life had found new light, he must find his way in the dark.

"It's not right, I'm not used to being blind," he says. "It's a whole new world for me and not one that I would've chosen."

Berry was shot in the face, looking down the barrel of a home-built contraption called a spud gun. When it fired a frog, it blinded him.

"If it would've been anything else it would've killed me," he says.

Spud guns fire potatos like light artillery. Some versions launch tennis balls.

A garage in Appleton, Wisconsin may be the center of the spud gun universe; that's where Joel Suprise has a booming business making spud guns of all sizes.

The guns are dangerous, can cause property damage and can cause severe bodily injury, he says.

"It's an item that's designed for fun and recreation but they need to be used safely," says Suprise.

The guns are made of plastic plumbing pipe and fueled by deodorant or hairspray fumes. A barbecue igniter is used for a trigger, and a potato, or anything that fits, goes down the barrel. It's a $60 weapon.

In the eyes of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, spud guns are not illegal. But across the country, some towns want them outlawed and police are confiscating spud guns regularly.

One gun was used in a North Carolina drive-by shooting. Another blinded an eye of a Pennsylvania house painter.

"They need to be used under adult supervision, the same with any type of gun," says Surprise.

On the Internet, they're a phenomenon, with nearly 9,000 spud gun hits. Web sites show people how to build or buy them cheap.

"I'm not the bad guy," says Suprise. "I'm just trying to live the American dream."

Berry had an American dream too.

"I wanted to finish up my college and go to the air force and be a pilot," he says.

Now, he struggles with a new life of talking calculators and the language of Braille.

But he wants his blindness to be his warning of what can happen when people play with any kind of gun.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/ ... 2978.shtml
---

Thank for reading, and I hope that this changed your outlook on these guns and how even though they may be legal, they are EXTREMELY dangerous

-Andrew

akaddis
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:03 am

The kid is an idiot. NEVER look down the barrel of a weapon, be it loaded or not! It is a terrible occurance, but it was his own fault none the less.

Yes, these guns are in fact dangerous, but to what degree is determined by the person constructing/using them.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:15 am

There was a topic about that way back in the day :wink: I remeber reading about it on here or spudtech.

His own bloody fault for shooting a frog, he deserves to be blind.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:07 am

What a twat.

No really. Being blind can't be any fun at all but LOOKING INTO THE BARREL OF A LOADED CANNON?

I won't say he deserved it but this kind of crap is what gives the rest of it a bad name.

Especially the bit about stuffing frogs into cannons. Sadist. Frogs like revenge too.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:44 am

And if he had followed the first rule of spudgun safety he would be fine now.

1st rule of spudgun safety: Always treat any spudgun in any condition* as being equivalent to a loaded shotgun with the safety off.

*fueled, vented, pressurized, unpressurized, loaded, unloaded, safetied, even partly deconstructed, or not - whatever condition it's in.

Would you look down the barrel of a loaded shotgun?

Mind you there are plenty of stories about people wondering why their muzzle loading blackpowder rifles aren't working, looking down the barrel, realising they can't see because it's dark, having a "brainwave" and holding a cigarette lighter to the touchhole to provide light.

Fortunately, not all of them died.

I won't say he deserves it. All it takes is a moment's ill thought to do something that stupid.
I'll admit I've done idiotic things myself, and through sheer luck, have got away with them.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:50 am

Only reason I said he deserves it because he tried to shoot a frog :evil: Im an animal person, and that guy is a dumbass.

And for you Americans out there.....He was going to train to be in the airforce :lol: I wouldn't trust that guy with a peanut butter jar some matches and a pen.....and he was going to be flying over your skies protecting your country

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:26 am

Ahh... the ever infamous "frogboy". If you don't already know, there's an Inside Edition, (news), clip showing Joel Surprise's business, and then interviewed the same kid. The video's hosted by PCGUY or somebody on a website.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:15 am

I am not promoting firing live animals - I however disagree with you saying that him being blinded is a suitable penalty for his "crime".

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:41 am

I don’t think this guy would’ve made it through boot camp, his gun would jam at the firing line and had look down the barrel to see what happened, then BOOM.
If spud guns make people go blind, then pencils cause misspelled words.
This retard gives a bad name to those of use with a lick of sense that shoot spud guns! And CBS blames Joel! What the heck!!
There are a lot of people who make a post and ask “how do I make a hybrid” (not in so many word usually) and get the information the requested, but if this guy’s too lazy to due the research, and too dumb to figure it out by him/her self, (on the same topic that the afore mentioned question was asked the same guy asked a question something to the effect of “what’s a BBQ igniter for?”. that scarred me, this guy’s making a potentially dangerous cannon and he can figure out any of it… I’m still waiting for the news report about this kid’s hybrid going ballistic and fragging him and three of his best friends. A spud GUN is still a GUN and need to be treated with the same (or in some cases more due to the fact that these are home made) respect as you would give a firearm.
Next time somebody asks for plans he need to be directed to this page and told “no, and here’s why!” if I could I would bet all my spudbuxs that this guy used plans.

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:47 am

hmm my gun isnt working let me look down the barrel to check it, but check what, that you put in a potato, and not your brain

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:59 am

Yes, why in the world would you look down the barrel of a loaded gun?!?
By the way forgot to say this first time, blind guy’s blood is on his own hands. Don’t blame somebody else for your own mistakes. Joel should’ve sued that guy for giving him, and all the rest of us intelligent spud gunners, a bad name! but hay as long as he’s blind at least it’ll be hard for him to hurt someone else…

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: medievalman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:17 am

what an idiot, would he look down the barrel of a shotgun? i think not! why would this be any different? i assume he's seen how2 far these guns can make spuds fly! what he did was as stupid as if he had his friends over right now and shot his gun! its all his own fault too! and blaming Joel for it! that just crosses the line!

Join the AirAssault Army!

Welcome to Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes, and 10,000,000,000 Mosquitoes.
medievalman
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: akaddis » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:07 pm

Yea i know what he did was stupid, but still, he had his WHOLE LIFE ahead of him. C'mon, there are worse things that 17-year-olds do and get away with without consequences......

akaddis
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Recruit » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Yes Akaddis I agree with you some but in my opion he is an idiot. I and anyone else with half a brain(that knows any thing anout spudguns) know that a well built one could and I stress could kill. So why in the world would he look down the barrel? and Further more he should be procecuted for cruelty to animals. I bet he was checking if the frog went all the way down the barrel or not or maybe to see if it would burn it to death.

Recruit
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Bluetooth » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:59 pm

Thats like saying: "BB guns are dangerous and should be iilegal because some kid looked down the barrel of it, it fired and he became blind".

Bluetooth
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related