Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 34 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Highest velocity reached.

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Highest velocity reached.

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:09 am

I am just wondering what is the highest velocity you have reached with a spudgun,be it pnuematic,combustion or hybrid.

My highest velocity so far was with my small bore pnuematic,reaching a maximum of 1065FPs and an easy average velocity of 960-990fps.

The velocity was measured with a chronograph and I will get some images up soon.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
rna_duelers
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:07 am
Location: G-land Australia
Country: Australia (au)
Reputation: 1

Re: Highest velocity reached.

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:02 am

rna_duelers wrote:I am just wondering what is the highest velocity you have reached with a spudgun,be it pnuematic,combustion or hybrid.

My highest velocity so far was with my small bore pnuematic,reaching a maximum of 1065FPs and an easy average velocity of 960-990fps.

The velocity was measured with a chronograph and I will get some images up soon.


Sounds cool, take a pic of your chronograph, i've never seen one before. Please, please and please!
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: imjustpk » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:05 am

isn't a chronograph a stopwatch?

i've though about using a stop watch to measure time and then measure distance to get speed of the projectile, but it just seemed inaccurate due to human error

there are 2 other ways to measure speed if you want too
1. ballistic pendulum, to measure muzzle velocity
2. firing the gun on a perfectly flat level to the ground, measuring the distance the projectile goes, and measuring how high off the ground your gun is, to measure average speed

1. believe it or not you can measure how fast a bullet goes by, knowing how much it weighs, how much a targeted pendulum weighs, and how high the pendulum swings when you shoot it, the speed it measure is the speed of the projectile on impact, shoot it point blank for muzzle velocity

2. if you shoot the gun level to the ground, measure the distance the projectile travels, and measure how high your gun is off the ground, you can calculate its average speed because all falling objects follow a parabola due to gravity

i have opted to go with a ballistic pendulum because i don't live near much flat terrain and because i want to measure the muzzle velocity, it is still a work in progress

need help with any thoughts on this just message me
  • 0

User avatar
imjustpk
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:12 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: COD_FILLETS » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:18 am

  • 0

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

"I'll Procrastinate Later" - COD_FILLETS
From [url]Quotes4All.net[url]

COD_FILLETS
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:48 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: imjustpk » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:23 am

holy heck how do i get one of those!
  • 0

User avatar
imjustpk
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:12 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: COD_FILLETS » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:46 am

imjustpk wrote:holy heck how do i get one of those!


I dont think you would be able to get one of those unless you have an extra few hundred(if not thousands) dollars lying around.
  • 0

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

"I'll Procrastinate Later" - COD_FILLETS
From [url]Quotes4All.net[url]

COD_FILLETS
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:48 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: CS » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:08 pm

I have that exact model, and it cost me a good $85 with shipping.

imjustpk, a chronograph is something that measures time. In this instance a ballistic chronograph measures the velocity of a weapon via two photo sensors.
  • 0

User avatar
CS
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:32 pm
Location: Southern Utah
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 4

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: Mic Whitey » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:29 pm

Chronograph, really, where did you manage to find one of those.
  • 0


Mic Whitey
Private
Private
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:45 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: CS » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:40 pm

eBay?
  • 0

User avatar
CS
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:32 pm
Location: Southern Utah
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: noname » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:49 pm

eBay, just about any online paintballing shop, maybe craigslist.
  • 0

User avatar
noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2699
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 9

Unread postAuthor: LGM » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:57 pm

  • 0


LGM
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:06 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:17 pm

I dunno what the fastest velocity ever reached is, but I know there have been at least two launchers to break the speed of sound (in air at sea level) - a oxyfuel launcher and a hybrid.

I forget exactly how much they beat it by.

Incidentaly, EVBEC now models gas-flow mass (but not restrictions), so it's numbers might be close enough to design a launcher from.

Or, at least, it can tell you qualitative statments:
1) Hybrids rock!
2) Evacuated bores are awsome.
3) Fat chambers have some fairly significant advantages beyond just burn time.
4) When attempting to shoot supersonic, the optimum barrel length for a combustion is shorter than .8:1 (C:B) (way shorter if the projectile is super-light)

Incidentaly, even shooting no ammo from a normal combustion, it says you won't be exceeding 2300 fps. And that's with a practicaly infinite chamber:barrel diameter ratio (think straw sticking out of a combustion chamber the size of a van) and a projectile literaly lighter than tissue paper.
  • 0

User avatar
boilingleadbath
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:42 pm

I've seen muzzle velocities in the range of 1000-1050 fps, but that is with super-light ammo.
  • 0

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
User avatar
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: SW Hertfordshire, England, UK.
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:50 pm

boilingleadbath wrote:I dunno what the fastest velocity ever reached is, but I know there have been at least two launchers to break the speed of sound (in air at sea level) - a oxyfuel launcher and a hybrid.

I forget exactly how much they beat it by.

Incidentaly, EVBEC now models gas-flow mass (but not restrictions), so it's numbers might be close enough to design a launcher from.

Or, at least, it can tell you qualitative statments:
1) Hybrids rock!
2) Evacuated bores are awsome.
3) Fat chambers have some fairly significant advantages beyond just burn time.4) When attempting to shoot supersonic, the optimum barrel length for a combustion is shorter than .8:1 (C:B) (way shorter if the projectile is super-light)

Incidentaly, even shooting no ammo from a normal combustion, it says you won't be exceeding 2300 fps. And that's with a practicaly infinite chamber:barrel diameter ratio (think straw sticking out of a combustion chamber the size of a van) and a projectile literaly lighter than tissue paper.


Do you mean a 4" chamber 10" long will out perform a 2" chamber of the same volume?
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: pyromanic13 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:36 pm

COD_FILLETS wrote:
imjustpk wrote:holy heck how do i get one of those!


I dont think you would be able to get one of those unless you have an extra few hundred(if not thousands) dollars lying around.


wow no where near that expensive...
  • 0

Movie dialogue: "The good die first."
Tom: "But most of us are morally ambiguous, which explains our random dying
patterns."

pyromanic13
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:54 pm
Reputation: 0

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'