Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

simple improvements

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
simple improvements

Unread postAuthor: lukemc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:12 pm

i have a very basic cannon i built it a little while back and all it is is a chamber barrel and BBQ sparker. i was thinking about adding a chamber fan but didnt know if it would be effective w/o a detatchable barrel if you have any comments or basic additions to improve power or reload speed just post

lukemc
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Recruit » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:31 pm

Ok you dont need a detachable barrel for a fan.

Build something like this for your gun http://spudshot.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=316

MAybe meterd Propane/Butane which ever you want.

Recruit
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Welcome to the forums.

Search around. There are lots of threads about accessories/improvements for combustion guns. We really like newbies that search before they post, and we tend to flame ones that don't.

I'll spoonfeed you a bit:

A) chamber fan is the most effective accessory for a combustion gun you can possibly get. It will help to mix the fuel/air together, creating a hotter/faster combustion and thus more power. It's also very useful for venting the chamber between shots. Put the chamber fan near the back of the chamber, pointing towards the barrel end.
B) Two or more spark gaps (My cannon uses a spark strip [see here: http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... park_strip ] with 5 gaps) and a hotter ignition system will make the combustion process more efficient and more reliable.
C) Ball valve venting so you don't have to take off the endcap/cleanout to vent between shots.
D) Propane Meter. Metered propane/MAPP gas is generally agreed to be the best combustion spudgun fuel. A meter system ensures you get a perfect fuel/air mixture every time, and propane is CHEAP ($3 for a canister that yeilds 150-200 shots in most guns).
E) Cooler handles and a shoulder pad. Just for fun.
F) Laser pointer sight

Look around and use the Search / Wiki next time please :)

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:38 pm

I don't have much practical experience with combustions, but I don't see why a chamber fan wouldn't help reload a gun with fixed barrel... and I'm pretty confident that it will still improve muzzle velocity.

boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: lukemc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

srry bout the post i looked a round a bit but couldn't find much so i gave up but thanx for the addvice

"Those who are different change the world. Those who are the same keep it that way"
lukemc
Colonel
Colonel

Return to General Spud Cannon Related