Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Threads (tapping Coke bottle, PVC)

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Threads (tapping Coke bottle, PVC)

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Russ » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:11 pm

Hey im just wondering about threading a 1/4" brass nipple into a coke bottle lid. will this pop out from pressure? If it would, is there another way i can put it in?

Same question but for 2" PVC. im gonna thread one into there and i dont know if it would pop out.

Thanks in advance

Mr.Russ
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: noname » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:18 pm

It's fine with any size PVC, just put it through a coupler or fitting so it's double layered and stronger. I'm not sure about Coke bottles.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:22 pm

PET doesn't seem like you could tap it in such a obtuse fashion, but I have no experience in the field and no formulas, so just take that as a guess.
(edit: disregard. I thought you where asking about tapping the neck of the bottle)

That said, you <i>can</i> tap a hole into PVC with the fitting... although it's hard to do and not as good as using a proper pipe tap.

Last edited by boilingleadbath on Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:23 pm

For the PVC question you can always thread those round circular disk shape things over it on the inside...ill try and find a pic of what I mean...
Anyway they're bbrass fitting in the shape of a disk with threads on the inside and they're flat...

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: subterranean » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:25 pm

Im pretty sure that threading into sch40 pvc will work. Just remember not to go all the way in with the tap, and if you mess up JBweld will seal any leaks. As for a bottle cap i am not sure ,but i have successfully put a rubber schrader vavle in the cap and held it over 100psi.(the bottle blew past 125) Im not sure what your trying to achieve, but rubber schrader valves work well. I personally would thread the cap as best as i could then put a coupler on the other end of the nipple(acts as a nut) and then coat most of that in JBweld.

subterranean
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: noname » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:35 pm

Fot tapping anything smaller than 1/4" into PVC, I just drill the appropriate sized hole, then pop the nipple or schrader valve into the drill chuck. Then I drill it into the hole, take it out, wrap it with teflon tape, then drill it in again. Has never failed.

"For the PVC question you can always thread those round circular disk shape things over it on the inside...ill try and find a pic of what I mean...
Anyway they're bbrass fitting in the shape of a disk with threads on the inside and they're flat..."
Locknut?

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:45 pm

Yup thats the one...Locknut

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: deusXmachina » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:50 pm

Bottle caps will form a pressure tight seal up to 50ish psi if you drill a hole and epoxy the hell out of it. You can forget about threading it, the plastic is way too thin to make a difference. I forget what it is but there is a plumbing part that fits dang well over a bottle's threads, I think it might be 3/4" NPS.

I used a steel-nipple-in-bottlecap in the flamethrower from hell, aka 13 consecutive bad ideas, and I'm not gonna go into further details because that's not allowed on the forum :twisted: but it worked well enough that it didn't rupture or anything, so for light use applications it will work well.

"On a scale from 1-10, I hope you fall in front of a bus."

:white stuff pours out of piston: "What is that? It looks like milk."
"....<i>Well...</i> it's not milk."

YAAAAAAAAYYYY WE'RE DOOMED!
deusXmachina
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: WOW!! » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:59 am

You can do it in a Coke bottle, I have done it. Just thread it in and then put a nut on the back side or some epoxy on it and it will be fine.

(\__/)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

My girl friend says I dont listen, at least thats what I think she said...
WOW!!
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related