Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

water and air

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
water and air

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:33 am

hello!

if I am right so is water 650 times as dense as air.
so here are the point! if i have a pressure tank that could stand big pressure and if i have 2 tanks (one with air and one with water) if i fill the tank with air to 1bar an have the same amount of water in the water tank (so if i get 1l with air in the air tank to reatch 1 bar and i put 1l of water in the water tank) how many bar would it be in the water tank? i think 650 :oops:

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:41 am

I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Could you draw a diagram or somthing?

Oh and 650 bar is a ludicrously high pressure, I doubt you could make somthing to contain it. 650 bar = 9427.47psi

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:48 am

i are not going to try it but just wonder

i cant explain it with more details!

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:49 am

Do you speak english as your first language? Its difficult to understand what your saying but remember water can't be compressed, think of hydraulic jacks....a small piston is pushed down by force which compresses water but because water can't be compressed the pressure is equal through out the water which in turns pushes a much larger piston up that has a type of rod on top so it can be used as a car jack....

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:56 am

sorry but i mean: one tank filed with AIR. i fill the AIR tank to 1bar. to get 1 bar on the gauge i have to put 1L with compressed AIR in the AIR tank.

then the WATER tank. i have the WATER tank filled full with WATER. then i put in 1L WATER more in the WATER tank. how mutch pressure would the gauge on the WATER tank show now?

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Matheusilla » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:03 am

If the water tank is already full, you won't be able to put any more water in. Your question is very confusing/hard to understand. From what I am guessing that you are saying, you'll only get 2 bar. If you're looking for really high pressure you'll need something that can supply that much pressure in the first place making you're water transferring idea obsolete.

Please try and explain you're idea more if you need more help.

Matheusilla
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: noname » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:24 am

Water can't be compressed; you can't get more in the tank.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: crazyfreak0075 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:56 am

noname wrote:Water can't be compressed; you can't get more in the tank.
Yeah close, water can totally be compressed its just it takes a but load of pressure to do it. Anything can be compressed it just takes different amounts of pressure. Water takes soooooo much pressure to compresses that you would have a higher air pressure pushing against the water which would make it a waste because you would be better off just using the water.

Some material to read
compression of water
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae15.cfm
compressing into solids
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/ju ... .Ch.r.html
note: water cannot be compressed into a solid because when water becomes a solid it becomes less dense causing it to expand this is caused by hydrogen bonding, very essential to live. Damn i love chemistry!!!

Further note Density is g/L correct, so by multiplying pressure times g/L, you would get a crazy unusable unit of g*Bar/L, gram bar per liter.

crazyfreak0075
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:28 am

To get down to a simple answer: the gauge would not change.

Water can't be pressurised like that.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:42 am

I'm sure with a big enough hammer you could compress water but, no, it wouldn't work. That's why if some pvc blows apart with 100 psi of water, you'll just get wet, because it won't expand, but if 100 psi of air explodes, then you'd better be running like you're crossing the border.

sgort87 wrote:I hereby present Flying_Salt with The one and only <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sgort87/ghetto">Ghetto Award!</a>
Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:55 pm

1)Let's say we take two gasses with different densities and add 1 liter of each to a 1 liter container. We will find that the pressure in both of the containers is funtionaly the same... because the compresibilty of gasses is not dependent appon density.
2) The density of water is roughly constant, wheras the density of air is roughly porportinal to pressure, so your analysis makes even less sence.

That said:
1) Water is compessible
2) But not to a density of 2 g/l

Im more detail, the ice we are familiar with is only one of 14 crystaline structures (and several non-crystaline forms).
Although many of these structures are denser than liquid water, I don't think that any are as dense as 2g/l... which, I geuss, indictates that our research labs can't squeeze it that hard. (which is saying something about the pressures involved...)
...my suspicion is that you'd be dealing with pressures greater than inside the core of the sun, but somewhat less than inside a netron star.

boilingleadbath

Return to General Spud Cannon Related