Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 88 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 83 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

One more question

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
One more question

Unread postAuthor: gotbass7 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:59 pm

i know it sounds stupid, but when you fire a spud gun, how much does it shoot back? like when you shoot it does it like fire back intensely? its combustive and the barrel/chamber is about 2 feet long and its about 2 inches wide.

gotbass7
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:03 pm

Define "fire back". Do you mean recoil (kick, like a firearm has)?

Recoil is directly dependent on the weight of the projectile. Golf balls, chunks of potatoes, etc... have very little kick (more than a .22LR, probably about like a 9mm). Caulk tubes full of concrete kick like a mother****er (10ga or equivalent, seriously).

Clarify your question please.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: gotbass7 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:06 pm

sorry. like is recoil when you fire it and the cannon comes back and may hit you? like on guns? when you hafta hold it really tight?

gotbass7
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:21 pm

You don't get it. I'll write you a detailed response when I'm home from work.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: gotbass7 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:43 pm

ok. im very flammable right now. i was trying to open a bbq lighter the long ones, and i didnt have the right screw driver but i was still trying and i saw something on the bottom i thought was a screw but it turned out it was what released the gas. SO now i washed my face but im still mildly flammable

gotbass7
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Matheusilla » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:49 pm

WOW... Have you read anything in the wiki? Oh yeah, that lighter fuel it'll wear off in about two or three years...... "snicker"

Check out the wiki for a couple hours (or at least 30 minutes), it's got a lot of useful info in it. I still read it even though i know a bunch about what is going on with these canons.

Matheusilla
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:56 pm

As an answer to your question, since an explicit one can't really be found in the wiki, the kick depends on how heavy or how tight the ammo is in the barrel. I think Schmanman has an interesting story of breaking some gun because he had like 10 pound of random junk in there and a concrete block behind it.
Yes, spud guns kick.

sgort87 wrote:I hereby present Flying_Salt with The one and only <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sgort87/ghetto">Ghetto Award!</a>
Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: spudthug » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:03 pm

newtons law...every action has an equal and oppisite reaction....

meaning the heavier the projectile the harder the kick....simple...

4" piston valved cannon-half done..( i spilt my cement...)

Hybrid- 75% done. need to build propane holder and drill/tap sparkplug hole..
spudthug
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: shud_b_rite » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:05 pm

Am I the only one here that likes a good strong recoil. It feels like your shooting a real gun and it's cool to feel the power of it.

Airbeds... so many different uses
shud_b_rite
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: gotbass7 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:14 pm

i just wanted to be sure cause i didnt want it to like suprise me but i also didnt wanna be over prepared for nothing

gotbass7
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:39 pm

shud_b_rite wrote:Am I the only one here that likes a good strong recoil. It feels like your shooting a real gun and it's cool to feel the power of it.

I agree completely. I'm a competition shooter though so that could be why. But I do have to say, launching the caulk tubes full of concrete hurts like a b!tch. But yes, the recoil from a spudgun you built is rather satisfying.

@gotbass7,
Spudthug got it dead on, minus a few details. For every action (launching something) there is an equal and opposite reaction (recoil). Lets say your projectile weighs 1 lb and your launcher weighs 10lb.

Accelerating a 1lb projectile to 100mph (though most launchers can get a spud over 300mph, we'll use 100 for easy math) would theoretically throw the 10lb launcher back at 10 mph, though for a very short distance. Now that wouldn't translate to the real world for various reasons, but it gives you a rough idea.

Have you fired any "real guns" before? I'd say the kick from shooting a potato is about the same as a 9mm or .38. The kick from a 2-3lb projectile is more like a .357 or 28ga. Those 8-lb, concrete-filled caulk tubes kick like frickin' 10ga buckshot.

I have a recoil pad on the back of my big rifles to help reduce the felt recoil. If you don't like the kick from your spudgun, consider putting some foam rubber or etc... on the back of it. Believe it or not, the tighter you hold the gun, the less you feel the recoil. It helps the recoil "wave" kind of go "through" you, rather than trying to resist it. This is especially true with large rifles such as the .300 Win Mag and bigger.

Any expert shooter will tell you, if you're afraid of the recoil, or if you try too hard to "prepare yourself" for the recoil, your aim gets $hitty. This doesn't matter much for spudguns, obviously.
If you try to prepare yourself for the recoil, you'll tense up your muscles, your heart rate and breathing will go up, and you'll tend to flinch right as you squeeze the trigger. All of these contribute to worse aim.
My point is, don't fear the recoil. It won't hurt you. It might surprise you a bit, but it won't hurt you (unless you're launching 5lb+ projectiles, that is).

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: Brooner115 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Ya man I agree with ya on the pistal shooting I was shooting a 45. and I anticipated the recoil and my shot ended up hitting the groung then I just relaxed and slowly squeezed the trigger and surrendered to the recoil and i had a much better shot and now I am a pretty good shooter. :wink:

Brooner115
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:15 pm

Brooner115 wrote:Ya man I agree with ya on the pistal shooting I was shooting a 45. and I anticipated the recoil and my shot ended up hitting the groung then I just relaxed and slowly squeezed the trigger and surrendered to the recoil and i had a much better shot and now I am a pretty good shooter. :wink:

Another tip - squeeze the trigger, don't pull it. Use the pad (near the tip) of your trigger finger, don't rest the trigger in the crook of your finger (where the knuckle is). Try it and you'll see what I mean by "squeeze, don't pull".

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Return to General Spud Cannon Related