Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Sleeving 2inch SDR40 aint that bad, why y'all complaining?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Sleeving 2inch SDR40 aint that bad, why y'all complaining?

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:30 am

So Saturday I had my 2inch SDR 40 barrel in my garage, and decided to sleeve it for golf balls. After a little experimenting, I found removing a 1inch strip (outside measurement) leaves virtually no gap. With the aid of a air grinder and a piece steel, I got the sleeve cut. It was perfect. Beveling the end and lubing the soon to be outter pipe followed. Through the next half hour, I was able to get rid of about 1/4 bottle of the some cheap air tool oil (mostly mineral oil, according to the label) from Harbor Freight. Just by slamming the barrel on a 2X4 placed on the ground, it went in little by little.

Why do people make such a big deal about this? Do they not understand the need for lube? Seriously, it's not that hard to get. You can never have too much lube. It can be getting everywhere and making a mess, and you still don't have enough. And then when you think you do, you still have to use a lot of force to ram it in. But, adequete lubrication helps a lot. When you're finally done you're hot, sweaty and tired. But it isn't really that bad.

I guess I'm just trying to make a point here. Lube is every man's friend.

I'm weird, I know it, you don't need to tell me.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: hi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:41 am

you can never have enough peanut butter either. my point is that it taste so good you cant get enough.

ok, now back on topic. i can agree with lubing, but there is such thing as to much because if you use a whole bottle to lube a gun it isn't going to work to well, sometimes you only need a drop or two.

hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LucyInTheSky » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:47 am

Lube is every man's friend.

Yes that could be taken the wrong way :D

If your getting chased off a police dog, try not to run through a tunnel then onto a small see-saw then through a ring of fire. They are trained for that!
LucyInTheSky
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:55 am

sleeving <b> 2" sch 40</b>is a pain
I have no idea what this 2"sdr 40 is!

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:28 pm

Were you using lube, frankrede?

Doesn't some pipe say SDR for schedule? Like, SDR 21? Well, that's what I meant, Schedule 40.

And HI, for sleeving 2inch Schedule 40, I still stand by what I said yesterday...theres no such thing as too much lube. I used 1/4 of a (16oz) bottle the other day, and that was squirting some on every few inches it went in, and prelubing it pretty well before I started. And I still had to cut off the last 18 inches or so, and sleeve it in the other side. The barrel was 55inches long, so that's not too bad.
By the way, my barrel came out freaking sweet. I was launching balls farther than I did before when I used sabots. And the gap is so small, I can't even get a hacksaw blade between the two edges.

I thought I would get more of a response from people taking this wrong, with all the talk of lube and being hot, tired, and sweaty afterwards...

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:45 pm

I haven't slleved a barrel yet, but It is a future project I plan on doing, once I build a suitable sized cannon.
I don't like to touch the hybrid.

frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 pm

Definitely build a new gun. And I would recommend either a coaxial or over/under, since this sleeved barrel is pretty heavy and needs some support.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:56 am

a coaxial?
A heavy barrel would be bad in that situation
I was think more along teh lines of a over under combustion or just inline.

frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: pyrogeek » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:09 am

I know what you mean. You would have to use like 6inch for the chamber, and that stuff isn't rated very high.

A sleeved barrel is pretty heavey, so I think an inline would be bit awkward. And I could just see having a 6 ft barrel and having a fitting break that was connecting it. Over/under is working out pretty well for me so far. Maybe if you cut out some circles or something from the outter pipe to lighten it, but leave enough to make it still support the sleeve and keep it closed tight.

pyrogeek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to General Spud Cannon Related