Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 87 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 81 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Golf Ball Boy

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:35 am

I feel sorry for the poor kid, one moment of stupidity cost him an eye. He will have to live with that for the rest of his life. The fact that the parents stopped him getting information off the internet was both a good and bad decision. The fact is that there are plenty of articles instucting how to build a spudgun that show terribly unsafe methods, and there are sites like this one that preach gun safety. His parents should have been with him when he tried it out, instead of just supervising constuction.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Bubba05 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:22 am

Yes a very sad state of affairs! I can say I've never looked down a barrel of any weopon. I look up them from the breach or chamber. witch is what your tort in the millatery. But I have had the privlage of proper training and safty drummed into your head 24 hours a day!
It's common sence. Sure it's sad that this poor bloke has lost his eye but where were the parents? Stupidity on behalf or everone involved

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Tue May 01, 2007 3:00 pm

While I feel damn sorry for the kid, we see quite a few cases like this - and almost always, they lose an eye rather than anything else.

I think that the fact that his parents prevented him searching the internet was stupid. You are far more likely to have a mishap if you don't research your subject well before you start.

Admittedly, I have never had a major incident with a spudgun (a few minor failures) and I have no injuries (other than minor cuts from construction), but that's because I'm one of the few people in the UK who's been educated in firearms safety - and I always use goggles as well.

A very critical rule must have been broken here - Looking down the muzzle is very dangerous, but I extend that further to:
In absolutely any case where there is any chance that the round could hit you - or anything else - you don't want it to hit - STOP!

Three basic rules can be drawn from this:
- Not fuelled/pressurised until it's going to be used
- Not loaded until it's going to be used.
- Never stand in the front 90 degree arc of any projectile accelerator.

But if there is only one rule I could get to all would be spudders, I'd choose the age-old: "Treat your spudgun as if it were a loaded shotgun at all times". That should prevent ALL injuries from fired ammos - it wouldn't cover poor construction, but that's much less dangerous IMO.

Finally, I have to feel sorry for all Australian spudders in general - this isn't going to help any of them.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Tue May 01, 2007 3:18 pm

Connor’s parents supervised their son as he made the gun the day before the accident because they were worried if they did not help he would turn to the internet for information.

What? WHAT?

If he'd come here would have been given any quantity of safety advice and anyone saying anything inherantly unsafe would have been flamed to a crisp.

Accidents happen. All you can do is take as many precautions as possible.

I had one today with my new 4mm barrel when I pressed the trigger instead of the safety valve and shot a biro dart clean through my ceiling.

I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than point the barrel at myself even unloaded in any circumstances. It's basic gun safety to form a habit of that so you don't ever have it pointing at you at the wrong time.

I'm glad that article didn't progress to spudgun bashing despite the seriousness of his injury and let it be said to just be a freak event.

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related