Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], mrfoo, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

stun gun problem

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
stun gun problem

Unread postAuthor: ArticWolf » Thu May 03, 2007 10:09 am

I have looked all over the place to find out what I did wrong, but I don't see a problem. My remote ignition works but the stun gun don't want to fire with the remote plugged in it just squeals. If you push the button on the stun gun itself it'll work and I can still here the Squealing not as bad though. What I did was instead of jumpering the button I just added some wire from the button on the stun gun to the plug for my remote trigger box the switch still work's on or off and the safety pin is still used. What did I do wrong or should I have used the wires off the safety pin instead. BTW I am using 25' of cat-5 network cable

ArticWolf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Thu May 03, 2007 2:27 pm

well, if i had to guess using cat-5 is not a good idea

its rated to like 300-600 volts, stun gun= 100,000-1,000,000 volts

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ArticWolf » Thu May 03, 2007 3:49 pm

The stun gun is still on the cannon the wire and the trigger box just trigger the stun gun.

ArticWolf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Thu May 03, 2007 4:32 pm

Artic,
I'm good with electronics and I don't fully understand the problem. Can you give us more details, or a diagram?

I assume you have a 50kv+ stungun wired to one or more spark gaps on your cannon, with the trigger relay circuit wired up to 25' of Ethernet cable. Did you bypass the switch on the stungun itself? If not, can you do so for troubleshooting purposes?

Without a more detailed description or a diagram of your situation (I'm a "visual learner"), I can't be of much help.

My advise is to take pieces out of the puzzle one by one until you identify the problem. Isolate the two firing switches (the one on the stungun and the one on the remote) and your "safety pin", and see how that goes.
Also, try to replace the Eth cable with something a little more heavy duty (I know it's only carrying 12v or less, but come on). I use shielded speaker wire for remote-relay stuff.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:21 pm

Its defenitly not working because your using network cable. That is just made it of like 8 super tiny barely insulated wires. I bet if you used speaker wire or something like that it will work.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ArticWolf » Thu May 03, 2007 6:22 pm

I drew this, this is pretty much the whole concept on paper I'm not good at explaining things I just do them when I think of them I didn't mean to confuse you hope this help's more :oops: The stun gun is a 650kv wirered to a single spark gap, the gap is less then a 1/4"

Attachments
trigger system.JPG
remote trigger system
trigger system.JPG (26.55 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Spark setup in cannon.jpg
spark gap I adjusted it a little smaller
Spark setup in cannon.jpg (12.82 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Spark from Hell.jpg
the spark it made at 1/4" gap no remote used
Spark from Hell.jpg (11.42 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Last edited by ArticWolf on Fri May 04, 2007 5:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
ArticWolf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: ArticWolf » Fri May 04, 2007 5:09 am

Update I jumped the button and tryed to use the safety pin wire's still didn't work I checked the voltage when the gun is on and the voltage is like 3 volts it dropped big time I know the ethernet cable is to small but It looked cool oh well, it don't hurt to try lol. I'll have to try a bit heavyer duty wire like the 4 wire from a utility trailer it is i think 16 gage wire the wire's on the gun were small so I didn't think it would hurt to try but I think I'll have to power it seperatly, stun gun's can handle 12 volts dc at 1 amp right I figured the voltage drop was causing it not to work but I could be wrong.

ArticWolf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: ArticWolf » Sat May 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Well I am going to just disconnect the battery's and disable the all switches and safety's on the stun gun. I will try to power it with a 12 volt DC power cord remotely through the trigger box to see if that will work. I checked the voltage with a volt meter and there is no drop through out the wire, I can power the fan that way so I dont see why I couldn't power the stun gun the same way. The wire like sandman said can handle 300 to 600 volts so pushing 12 volts at 3 amp's is nothing for the wire to handle it. If not I will use heavier wire but I still think the Network wire can do the work. But any advice will still help This is the way the trigger box is wired up after I get done soldering it up.

Edit: You have to click on the picture to see it right Don't know why it looks funny is here.

Update: I finally finished my trigger box network cable and all. It all work's, had to take the battery's and all switches and safety's out of the stun gun but I knew that I could get it to work. The only thing is that the battery for the trigger box isn't contained in the box no more it is a 12 Volt battery from a ride on electric four wheeler that plug's in to the box like a power cord for a laptop. The little plug to plug the network cable in is a surface mount one now no loose things to get snagged on, other than the wire for the battery but at 25 foot away from the cannon there's nothing to worry about will get pics up today some time till then just wanted to let you all know it is done and work's. :) There is a resistor between each LED so the LED's can work on 12 volts

ArticWolf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to General Spud Cannon Related