Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 60 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pressurized water cannon?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Pressurized water cannon?

Unread postAuthor: tablet » Sun May 13, 2007 1:59 am

Just wanted to bounce an idea off of you guys; Could you pressurize the chamber of a pneumatic cannon with a pressure washer? You know, the ones you can buy to clean cars. I would use it by filling the chamber with water and then pressurizing it with the sprayer till the desired psi is reached.

The point of this would be to experiment with higher psi , most air compressors only go to 150psi any higher will cost you $$$$. However, even a cheap pressure washer, under $100 dollars will reach 1000 psi (I would never go that high).

I know that the drag of the volume of water would vary high as it moves through the cannon, also that the volume of the pressure washer would be low (under 3 gallons a minute). You would also need to be sure just what kind of pressure your cannon could take. I’m sure you can think of other problems.

Has anyone tried using a pressure washer for their cannons? Any insight would be helpful.

tablet
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: homedepotpro » Sun May 13, 2007 2:04 am

im not totally sure what your talking about, but if your thinking about pressurizing water and using it to power a projectile, its futile. liquids cannot be compressed and therefore they can't rapidly expand to propel something

homedepotpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: shud_b_rite » Sun May 13, 2007 3:44 am

However you could use the high pressure water to drive a piston down compressing air. But there are better ways of doing that, such as hydraulics.

Edit: Something else I just thought of, you could fill a chamber with as much air as possible then connect the water blaster to it, the water will ocupy space so the air will become more compressed. The problem is that you would get water in your chamber and the water blaster would probably blow the thing up (boom).

Airbeds... so many different uses
shud_b_rite
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Sun May 13, 2007 9:08 am

Small diameter or high schedule steel pipes are often rated in excess of 1000 psi, so it's not necessarily a deathtrap.

boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: Bubba05 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:30 am

I sorta understand what you mean but ive never seen it done befor. In theroy it could work but then again it could fail. Dude be one of the first to adapt this and see how you go.

Bubba

Bubba05
Colonel
Colonel

Return to General Spud Cannon Related