Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 35 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Heating and twisting PVC pressure pipe help

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Heating and twisting PVC pressure pipe help

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Sat May 19, 2007 8:04 pm

Hey
I did some searching and only found heating and bending pvc pressure pipe. My research on the website only showed bending the pipe and im twisting it.
My question is:
When i made my pneumatic gun i used two 90 degree elbows with some pvc pressure pipe between them. I did the elbows a little skew and was wondering if heating with the heat gun and twisting the pvc pipe streight (only about 5 degrees clockwise) will damage the PVC pipe in any way.
Thanks
Marco

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Heating and twisting PVC pressure pipe help

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sat May 19, 2007 8:06 pm

Marco321 wrote:Hey
I did some searching and only found heating and bending pvc pressure pipe. My research on the website only showed bending the pipe and im twisting it.
My question is:
When i made my pneumatic gun i used two 90 degree elbows with some pvc pressure pipe between them. I did the elbows a little skew and was wondering if heating with the heat gun and twisting the pvc pipe streight (only about 5 degrees clockwise) will damage the PVC pipe in any way.
Thanks
Marco

I would not feel safe doing this... it could create weak spots which would be prone to failure... especially because it is a 90 degree bend rather than a straight section.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sat May 19, 2007 8:08 pm

on a simple combustion i would say it was ok, but still kinda stupid.
on a pneumatic i would say that you should call the hospital and say that you will be coming in in a few hour and that you just wanted to give them a heads up.

I.E.- dont do it, just get the proper fittings.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Sat May 19, 2007 8:14 pm

Im not heating it and benging it 90 degrees, im heating it and stwisting the pipe a little. The pipe is still streight

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sat May 19, 2007 8:19 pm

its still not smart on a pneumatic.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Sat May 19, 2007 8:24 pm

Oh ok, why not? i didnt heat it enough to melt it, it was still touchable easily, and i only twisted it a little. I also thought pvc was a thermal plastic.

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sat May 19, 2007 8:28 pm

all im saying is that i personally wouldnt do it. if its the barrel then its fine, but the chamber its not such a good idea simply because if you bend it that means that you are streching the plastic on one side and smushing it together on ther other. i know its not a whole lot, but it will weeken it a little and i just dont think its the best idea in the world thats all.

hi
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Sat May 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Im not bending it, im twisting it, so it should not be smushing it on one side and stretching it on the other side, just twisting it anbout 5 degrees. I also just had a google search and there are machines and stuff for bending pvc pipes and they all don't say anything about dangers, unless thats only for pipes not under pressure.

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Sat May 19, 2007 8:34 pm

An easy altearnative would be chopping off the elbows and replacing them with street elbows. Then you can twist and turn them any way you like.

mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Sat May 19, 2007 8:38 pm

I have the elbow fittings on it and everything, its just the pipe connecting the 2 elbow fittings which i had to twist so the barrel and the chamber where parallel, i twisted the pipe about 5 degrees across its cylindrical surface

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sat May 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Go out and try it.
Do it remotely

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Sat May 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Iv already done it, i did it because i couldn't see any reason not to. I haven't shot it yet because i thought i should ask you all here. Its a ball valve so i cant do it remotely. But what im asking is does heating pvc damage it? I don't think it does because its a thermal plastic. I also didn't put any bends in it, just a twist. The tube i twisted is about the width of an average mans hand.

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Kenny_McCormic » Sat May 19, 2007 9:40 pm

it doesnt matter reforming the pipe WILL weaken it personally i think ur nuts which would you rather do spend $5 and chop off the fittings and try again OR pay thosands of dollars to get all the pvc shcpnel removed form ur body?

Kenny_McCormic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Marco321 » Sat May 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Ok
How do i remove the pipe?

Marco321
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: sjog » Sat May 19, 2007 10:25 pm

sjog
Donating Member