Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Silencer/Muffler

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 

Yay Or Nay

Keep it It looks awesome
No votes
Not worth it
No votes
ill order one=]
No votes
ill order one=]
No votes

Total votes : 0
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:57 am

The other problem with silencers on "real" guns is even if you completely eliminate the barrel report you still have a supersonic round that makes a bang all by itself.

To get a gun to only make a "pfft" sound (like the movies) you need to drop the muzzle velocity to subsonic. For most "serious" rifles, dropping the muzzle velocity to subsonic means dropping the kinetic energy (and range) of the round by about a factor of four.

===============================================
Just a warning, in the USofA you can get in BIG ASS trouble for pocessing anything that even remotely resembles a silencer. Doesn't matter what type of gun it is designed for.
===============================================

Last edited by jimmy101 on Wed May 23, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed May 23, 2007 11:32 am

jimmy101 wrote:For most "serious" rifles, dropping the muzzle velocity to subsonic means dropping the kinetic energy (and range) of the round by about a factor of four.

There are ways around this little niggle, namely using a bigger slug :)

VSSK Vychlop - and if you can't speak Russian, try some "whisper" rounds:

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Thu May 24, 2007 6:03 am

niice.

anyways i bin thinking...(uh oh)

im gonna make a foot(or more) long silencer, with sections as suggested and see how it goes :D

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Bubba05 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:54 pm

Mate looks pritty good! As someone said you'd have trouble spotting the home made from a production model. Well done.
Just goes to show Aussies are the kings on imporvisation....

Bubba

Bubba05
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Fri May 25, 2007 7:30 am

well i set out and made a bigger better silencer, and i did test it for yas.

its 2" outer tube and a 3/4" barrel and yes back to metric its 470mm long, i used slits instead of holes and it seems to work really well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB7KAyFUdkQ[/youtube]

Attachments
SA400026 (Medium).JPG
SA400025 (Medium).JPG
SA400025 (Medium).JPG (32.04 KiB) Viewed 599 times
SA400024 (Medium).JPG
chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: experament-u2 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:32 am

thats awesome chaos il be allot safer shooting ur gun off now specially at the high pressures 8)

experament-u2
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri May 25, 2007 7:36 am

sweet! shame you didn't do this before contest voting was over, it would have increased the "wow" factor considerably.

You should have made it the same I/D as the barrel, it would have been more effective. Sorry to be so pedantic, nice effort :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Fri May 25, 2007 7:47 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:sweet! shame you didn't do this before contest voting was over, it would have increased the "wow" factor considerably.

You should have made it the same I/D as the barrel, it would have been more effective. Sorry to be so pedantic, nice effort :D

yer true but i had no compression fittings of that size just laying around, but hey it works so im happy.

still i think it may have increased the "wow" factor there weren't to many people interested int voting for "old Tech" :? ah well the comp doesn't matter to me it was my first and probably not my last.

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Sat May 26, 2007 11:56 pm

Wow is definitely right,that looks sweet and sure does look like it will suppress the sound fairly well(haven't watched the video yet)

Does that add excessive weight to the front of the gun?Can it be removed or is it welded there?

Watching the video,that gun still seems quite loud but the camera is close to it while its being shot.

Here is a cross section of a silencer with chambers much like some used on guns,the grey is the barrel wiht holes/slits in it the red are stopers to block each chamber off from each other.If your silencer is removeable you could easily add something to add chambers to it.Couldn't you?

Attachments
silencer.jpg
Here is the design.
silencer.jpg (18.28 KiB) Viewed 563 times
rna_duelers
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Sun May 27, 2007 2:06 am

rna_duelers wrote:Wow is definitely right,that looks sweet and sure does look like it will suppress the sound fairly well(haven't watched the video yet)

Does that add excessive weight to the front of the gun?Can it be removed or is it welded there?

Watching the video,that gun still seems quite loud but the camera is close to it while its being shot.

Here is a cross section of a silencer with chambers much like some used on guns,the grey is the barrel wiht holes/slits in it the red are stopers to block each chamber off from each other.If your silencer is removeable you could easily add something to add chambers to it.Couldn't you?

Yes im sure i could add chambers to it and yes it is removable, it adds a bit of weight to it but i can handle it without bitching about it, i can shoot it at 200psi and not worry about a headache anymore (its F***ing loud with out it)

ill keep on working on it and keeps ya's all posted on its current stage of improvement*

peace
chaos

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sun May 27, 2007 2:03 pm

Yeah, i made a spuressor like that for one of my airsoft guns (in fact, it was a gas sniper). all my friends hated it becasue 1. it was LOUD and 2. becuase it hurt. although i didnt get rid of the hurt factor, i got rid of the BAM to a soft pfft which they never even suspected was me........

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Bubba05 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:01 pm

That seems to do the trick nicley!
and it makes you gun look so buff to!

VH_man thats scary dude i hope not to play skermish with the likes of you and a you airsoft gun running around.

Bubba

Bubba05
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Mon May 28, 2007 1:51 am

oo oo can i play skirmish/paintball against u with my S400??? pwease pwease pwease???

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Mon May 28, 2007 6:40 am

yeah, they eventually made me use the less powerful airsoft gas, not green gas. it lowers preformance some but its still above the 350 FPS range. definetly not 500+ anymore. i like it like that anyway. it gets kind of solitary laying there 200 feet away from everyone. plus, its quieter now.........

and no, i have a feeling the S400 will punch holes in me........... not saying my gas rifle didnt.......... it doesnt now with yellow gas..... only draws blood from point blank, from 50 feet away it just hurts.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Mon May 28, 2007 6:53 am

draws blood aye i did this wit me mates and those buckshot shells you see in the ammo discussion topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLlZ9rFXNas

chaos
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related