Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

electric valve+direct line to co2 tank?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
electric valve+direct line to co2 tank?

Unread postAuthor: yehjas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:22 am

just wondering if u actualy use the elctric motor to actuate the valve or just use the bleeder. im exploring other means rather than the usual ball valve.

also is it possible to hook up a co2 tank to the valve itself? a small one like for a paintball gun, im trying to design a paintball grenade launcher thats semiautomatic igeuss like a t-shirt cannon

yehjas
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:50 am

are you asking if it is possible to use an electric motor to open a ball valve? i suppose you could, but it would have to turn off when the valve was opened.

it would be much better if you used a spring to open it. it would be less expensive and less complex and it would open the valve so much faster than a motor.

and no you can't hook up a co2 tank to the valve, it would explode under the 1000+ psi the tank has in it. you need a co2 regulator.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:07 am

hi wrote:and no you can't hook up a co2 tank to the valve, it would explode under the 1000+ psi the tank has in it. you need a co2 regulator.

I have 2 cannons that operate on non-regulated Co2 that use dual brass ball valves. Un-regulated Co2 is fine is long as you use an all metal chamber, I use steel pipe from a hardware store.

(Not completly finished but operational)

K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple ******"

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: yehjas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:48 am

cool its a great idea, just one question, ive seen pneumatics with a sprinkler valve, elctric ones, do u use electricity to open it or just the release?

yehjas
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:52 am

wow, you should make a semi-auto bb launcher with unregulated CO2. you would be my hero :)

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:11 am

They are manual ball valves, to keep them working properly and turning eaisily, I pour a bit of air-tool oil in to keep the ball valves lubed. Because of the high pressure of unregulated Co2, I need to use Manual metal ball valves, I found some sprinkler valves that have about a 200 PSI max but this cannon runs on 800+ PSI. I use my un-regulated Co2 cannons for paintball, the 2" PVC barrel is perfect for finned nerf footballs and my homemade paintball grenades. Basically how this cannon operates is: pour air tool oil in Co2 tank adaptor, screw in Co2, open first valve (till you hear chamber stop filling), close first valve, open second valve as fast as you can to fire. That bolt sticking out at the top is a little long and I need to cut it down a bit but its a simple "L" lock for the breach loading barrel (with a simple turn and pull, the barrel comes off ready to load, quick and easy). This cannon I have been making from leftover parts from my other builds.

When you say BB launcher, do you mean just adding a smaller barrel for airsoft bb's?

K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple ******"

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:28 am

yehjas wrote:cool its a great idea, just one question, ive seen pneumatics with a sprinkler valve, elctric ones, do u use electricity to open it or just the release?

yes we use electricity. Hereis a link http://www.spudtech.com/content.asp?id=21 i hope that helps answer your question

rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: yehjas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:18 pm

helpful, but wat do u use as a powersource? and wen u trigger the sprinkler valve does the valve shut back off on its own or do u have to shut it ur self?

because im tryin to make it work like a giant paintball gun. that way i can just shove another grenade in the tube and fire again

yehjas
Private
Private

Return to General Spud Cannon Related