Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 41 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], mark.f, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

How did you all get into Spudding?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: wannabie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:14 pm

Well for me it was my mum she is a high school science teacher and her school had made a tennis ball launcher ( it was a combustion and i was like 9 ) and i said mum i want one then she said only if you figure out how to make one your self which put me off since i was only like 9 the 4 years later me and my freind made a tennis ball launcher :) it was fun but we got bored of it so i found this site oneday while trying to find plans for somthing beter now im hooked :D

wannabie
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:19 pm

haha. i forgot to mention the other thing that got me into spudding was this thing:

http://www.scitoyscatalog.com/Merchant2 ... y_Code=FCC

god i had fun with this thing........ my house still smells like mint.

it got me into spudding because one day i drilled a hole in the top of one of the fim cans and stuck a pen tube in, dropped an airsoft bb in, and BLAMO it worked!!!!!!! hehe...

anyways, i reccomend getting one of those film can cannons just to have around. theyre fun, and you can use them indoors. could also have fun at the office :)

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: tylerthetatertosser » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:00 pm

well i got into spudding by one night i was looking and watching videos on youtube probly about blowing crap up or somthing along the lines of that. when i came a cross a video that ended up been a bout tater guns it looked so cool i linked the video to my friend and he said we are making one of those this weeekend and we did they were one of the coolest things i made both mine and my friend could lob a potato the size of a large baseball dimond that is how i got hooked on spudding. :) :) :)

tylerthetatertosser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: lukemc » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:36 pm

2 word backyard ballistics

my dad made a calcium carbide cannon and i had fun with it so i went one up and made a full size potato gun

"Those who are different change the world. Those who are the same keep it that way"
lukemc
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Redcoat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:42 pm

VH_man wrote:around. theyre fun, and you can use them indoors. could also have fun at the office :)

You can use all cannons indoors :wink:

Poo.
Redcoat
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:57 pm

tylerthetatertosser wrote:well i got into spudding by one night i was looking and watching videos on youtube probly about blowing crap up or somthing along the lines of that. when i came a cross a video that ended up been a bout tater guns it looked so cool i linked the video to my friend and he said we are making one of those this weeekend and we did they were one of the coolest things i made both mine and my friend could lob a potato the size of a large baseball dimond that is how i got hooked on spudding. :) :) :)

My first real spudding experiences continue this story. I had build a ghetto combustion launcher about 2 years ago, but I never did get it to fire properly, I believe the furthest shot went about 40 feet. I scrapped it, and used the parts for other things.

However, about 8 months ago, I was sitting at my computer on a Monday night, browsing pyrotechnic forums. My friend Justin (who is the person Tyler refers to in his post) suddenly IMs me, stating that he and Tyler had built 2 potato guns, and they could launch a potato the length of a baseball field. I was amazed, and decided to go watch these contraptions fire the next day after school. So, the next day, we headed down to a lake by Tyler's house, and fired an entire bag of spuds out of their launchers. They were inefficient (C:B ratios of around 3:1), and inconsistent, but I was instantly hooked. The next day, I built my own basic butane fueled launcher, and my initial experience was a lot like my experiences one year prior. After 2 misfires (the potato traveled about 50 feet), my Dad wanted to attempt to fire it. He was expecting it to fire exactly as he had witnessed during the previous 5 minutes, but this time, after spraying in 3 times more butane then I had been doing, it fired properly, he almost dropped the gun, and the potato traveled 150 yards over the trees on my property. :lol: Later that day I discovered Spudfiles, and soon after advanced the hobby to a level I had never dreamed of.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Spedy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:08 pm

I got into this by... well, I can't remember. probobly when I was looking for film-can-cannon plans. I wish I could build a spudgun already but I'm on a vacation to my cousins down south at the moment. I'll just have to wait..

Spedy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:21 pm

Come to think of it I have no idea how I got into spudding. I'm guessing I got the idea somewhere on the internet and then just googled a bunch of stuff and ended up here asking people for help.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: LGM » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:10 pm

Same as mister steve here. I just felt like launching something and I ended up building a cannon.

LGM
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:46 am

Imperialist1 wrote:
VH_man wrote:around. theyre fun, and you can use them indoors. could also have fun at the office :)

You can use all cannons indoors :wink:

Yes, but I have a hole clean though my ceiling which says it's a bad alternative to using them outside :wink:

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:17 am

Hotwired wrote:Yes, but I have a hole clean though my ceiling which says it's a bad alternative to using them outside :wink:

I have a bedroom wall that looks like a good day in lebanon that suggest the same :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: spudbud101 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:25 am

I was browsing the vTeen.com forums when someone, in the off-topic discussion forum, asked for the exact outside diameter of a tennis ball. Of course I asked what for, and he replied he was making an attachment for his poattao cannon. Googled it, found PVC Ballistics and built the basic pneumatic. I still have it and it still works. :) The only thing stopping me from advancing is the cost. A student with no money sucks.

Rawr.
spudbud101
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:33 am

Unlike most people, I started on pneumatics.

Through a blend of water guns (my other weird hobby), and my mad brother, I eventually started on a very basic pneumatic, made out of three hose fittings and a bit of hose, half a water gun to pressurise with, a plastic bottle, a bit of electrical tape, and about 3 feet of DWV (wierd, I've only just noticed that, but when I read that, I always read it D-V-W, rather than D-W-V. But I still type it DWV. What's even weirder is if I type DVW, I read it as D-W-V.) pipe, I made something that would chuck a battery or grape about 150 feet.

Messing around with several friends (but with no shooting of each other I am glad to say), we distributed a bunch of grapes about this area.

Ok, after that, then came the ball valve pneumatic - then the sprung loaded one... and it continued from there really.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SnowFlox » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:31 am

tylerthetatertosser wrote:well i got into spudding by one night i was looking and watching videos on youtube probly about blowing crap up or somthing along the lines of that. when i came a cross a video that ended up been a bout tater guns it looked so cool i linked the video to my friend and he said we are making one of those this weeekend and we did they were one of the coolest things i made both mine and my friend could lob a potato the size of a large baseball dimond that is how i got hooked on spudding. :) :) :)

same :) looked some video's on youtube..
2 days later i was popping paper arrow with my small combustion gun.

SnowFlox
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:56 am

joannaardway wrote:Unlike most people, I started on pneumatics.

Through a blend of water guns (my other weird hobby), and my mad brother, I eventually started on a very basic pneumatic, made out of three hose fittings and a bit of hose, half a water gun to pressurise with, a plastic bottle, a bit of electrical tape, and about 3 feet of DWV (wierd, I've only just noticed that, but when I read that, I always read it D-V-W, rather than D-W-V. But I still type it DWV. What's even weirder is if I type DVW, I read it as D-W-V.) pipe, I made something that would chuck a battery or grape about 150 feet.

Messing around with several friends (but with no shooting of each other I am glad to say), we distributed a bunch of grapes about this area.

Ok, after that, then came the ball valve pneumatic - then the sprung loaded one... and it continued from there really.

Awesome, I'm not the only one who started on Pneumatics. I started out with some 3" cell core pipe and a gate valve. Pumping it up to 30-50 psi and shooting raquet balls.

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related