Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 32 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Faster opening piston

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Faster opening piston

Unread postAuthor: us sniper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Would it work to make the piston inside the tee pulled back by a motor? You would use the same system as the airsoft gun used here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AEG.gif
Instead of the tube that pushes the air forwared it would be the piston. This would make it fire faster because there is no need for the sprinkler or ball valve and you would not need to wait for the air to make the piston seal the barrel. This would also increasethe rate of fire, all you need is that the compressor or co2 tank can keep up with the motor.

100 posts!!! 8)

us sniper
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:56 pm

THANK YOU for finding that. ive been trying to explain to some dimwits how an AEG works. they think they have onboard air compressors and stuff.......

i sadly dont think that would increase opening time. if you could get a perfect seal at 100 PSI, you could make the piston only held back by a sear, attached to a trigger. someone did that on this fourm (i think it was jackssmirkingrevenge) and it was quite powerful. he could have made it faster with a 100lb spring on the other side too!!!

but sorry, im afraid that wont work........... try tho. we might all be suprised.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: spudthug » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:02 pm

it may work but it would open slow as hell and it dwoulld decrease performance alot...think about it... a piston valves opens in ~5 milliseconds...there is no way you could get a motor to do that..u blink ur eye in like ~10 ms..

4" piston valved cannon-half done..( i spilt my cement...)

Hybrid- 75% done. need to build propane holder and drill/tap sparkplug hole..
spudthug
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:04 pm

i think it would slow it down and it would be exedingly difficult to make it work. maybe if you had some rubber tubing attached to the piston and the other end to the end cap, but i really dont think the motor would work and it would leak no matter what.

edit- congrats on the 100 posts, i recently made over 800! in your face! just kidding, i post alot i know.....

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: us sniper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:50 pm

Too bad it wouldn't work. Does anyone know if jack pushed the spring manually or if he did it some other way. I liked this design because it would be semi or auto. The motor could still work to push the piston forward and compress the spring using jack's idea.

us sniper
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:43 am

if you could get a perfect seal at 100 PSI, you could make the piston only held back by a sear, attached to a trigger. someone did that on this fourm (i think it was jackssmirkingrevenge) and it was quite powerful.

yes it was :wink:

Does anyone know if jack pushed the spring manually or if he did it some other way. I liked this design because it would be semi or auto. The motor could still work to push the piston forward and compress the spring using jack's idea.

The piston was pushed back pneumatically, it was basically an instantly released piston valve. Your idea would work, in fact I have drawings of a similar system somewhere, if you made it like the diagram attached, and really wouldn't be that complicated to achieve if you had an AEG to take apart for spares and copious amounts of epoxy adhesive.

It would have to be small calibre though (BB or airsoft) and i'm not sure if keeping the motor inside a compressed air chamber would lead to overheading issues.

Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 533 times
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to General Spud Cannon Related