Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 63 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

In need of opinions

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
In need of opinions

Unread postAuthor: Spedy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:43 pm

I have seen numerous "starter" launcher plans just about everywhere, but I don't know if I should build a pneumatic or a combustion as my first cannon.

What do you recommend?

Spedy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: 666lucky693 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:49 pm

pneumatic they are a little bit harder but they have so much more power than combustion so they are alot funner than a combustion i just made a new
one today here is the link to it http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/my-new- ... t9167.html pm me and ill make u designs to make one like mine and u will probally have all the stuff u need for it at ur house so yea talk to me if u want the plans for one like mine it is a paintball cannon and it can shoot marbles

666lucky693
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Flying_Salt » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:57 pm

A combustion is more fun for a first cannon, and it's safer to start with a combustion because you're just learning how to work with pvc and the like. A pneumatic can be more powerful and will work 100% of the time, but a combustion is safer for a first one, plus you don't have to worry about finding a spot to put the schrader in and you won't have to pump it up.

sgort87 wrote:I hereby present Flying_Salt with The one and only <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sgort87/ghetto">Ghetto Award!</a>
Flying_Salt
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:05 pm

I started out with a pneumatic. It was super fun shooting raquet balls as far as I could see.

It really isn't hard to make a pneumatic over a combustion, as long as you do some research. :wink:

Good luck. :)

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:06 pm

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: 666lucky693 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:11 pm

every one loves pneumatics because they go far and fire 100% of the time unlike combustions u have alot of variables to get right to get it to fire

666lucky693
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:26 pm

If you are looking for something mobile - something you can just throw in the car and shoot anywhere, go with a combustion.
If you want more power, and don't mind using a bike pump a lot or lugging a compressor around, go with a pnuematic.

Both types of basic guns can be made easily, but a pneumatic can be a bit harder as you can't have any[major] leaks.
Combustions are also good if you like lots of noise.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: goathunter » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Basic combustion for starters.That will get you the spud flingin' bug.And is just fine for starting off.They provide lots of entertainment without the equipment to lug around.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan

"KA BLAAM! Elimination! Lack of education."-Big Mama, Fox and the Hound, Disney

goathunter
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: 666lucky693 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:40 pm

make a mini if u want to mess around and only have a few minuets

666lucky693
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Spedy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:43 pm

Okay then, I think I'm just gonna find out for myself. I'll build both the basic designs I have, do some tests, and post the results. Range, ease of operation, ect, but I have none of the dohickeys nessicary to measure speed. ($6.50 a week is a long time to save up for a chrono...)

Incase you are wondering what the models I'm going to build are: they are here:

http://www.advancedspuds.com/blseries.htm
http://members.aol.com/sph911/spud/basic.html

Spedy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:45 pm

I think that you should start with a hybrid. Just kidding, start with a pneumatic, they work 100% of the time, they have a lot more power than combustions, and they really aren't that hard to build.

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: 666lucky693 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:56 pm

nice choices on the designs i like the idea of breach loading cannons 8)

666lucky693
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:23 am

Most of us started with a simple combustion.

Having worked with both, pneumatics have the opportunity to be more powerful when properly designed, and are more reliable than a "basic" combustion.

However, my over/under combustion with metered propane sees much more use than any other gun I have (except my shotgun and .22 ... lol) because it's portable and easier to use. I don't have to fire up the compressor or use a d@mn bike pump.... just *load, inject propane, turn on fan, fire, vent, turn off fan, repeat*. Everything's on-board (everything required to fire is built-into the cannon, except for ammo :) ).

I prefer combustions, because even if they lack the power of a pneumatic, a properly built combustion is very portable, reliable, easy to use... and the BOOM is so satisfying :) .
I'd also say combustions are easier to build because you don't need expensive pressure rated pipe - SCH40 ABS is cheap and works fine (this is a topic of much debate but I feel very comfortable recommending SCH40 ABS for a combustion. If properly assembled, it should never fail under normal circumstances).
By the way, with a 10' barrel, you can get golf balls a good 300 yards with a big combustion.... that's enough power for me :)

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:33 pm

Spedy, if you have access to a laptop, or to an old desktop PC, you can make your own chrony for a couple bucks like this.

BTW, combustion vs. pneumatic is a long standing debate. For the two guns you linked to I wouldn't be surprised if the combustion out-performed the pneumatic.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Pete Zaria wrote:I'd also say combustions are easier to build because you don't need expensive pressure rated pipe - SCH40 ABS is cheap and works fine (this is a topic of much debate but I feel very comfortable recommending SCH40 ABS for a combustion. If properly assembled, it should never fail under normal circumstances).

Unrated ABS is fine for basic combustion guns, but for a propane gun, NOOOOO. :shock: I have had a properly constructed propane powered ABS launcher explode due to a defect in the pipe. I suffered minor burns on my arm, and lost about $30 worth of parts. Unrated pipe of any kind should not be used to build advanced combustions.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related