Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Combustion cannon = explosive?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Combustion cannon = explosive?

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:49 pm

Due to a recent altercation with an explosive device and the police, my parents have told me that I am not allowed to fire combustion launchers any longer, because they believe that the combustion of propane inside a chamber is an explosion. Does anyone have any advice on convincing them that my hybrid is not in fact a bomb?

Thanks.
  • 0

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
User avatar
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Canada
Country: Poland (pl)
Reputation: 3

Unread postAuthor: homedepotpro » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:53 pm

nope your screwed, just wait it out. time heals all things. eventually they will forget, just don't draw anymore attention to it for a while so they don't get aggravated and take it away
  • 0

User avatar
homedepotpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:00 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:56 pm

Dude, lemme give you some words. If you don't say anything, they'll go on thinking it's a bomb. If you do say something, they'll not only think it's a bomb still, but they'll prolly just think you're a smart***. Pardon my censored french.
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:18 am

So according to the advice, as well as my own, the answer is simply no. People tend to associate explosions with bad things, like bombs. Furthermore, because you are using propane (which people know is flamable) as a propellent, they instantly draw the conclusion that it is creating explosions.

You can beg and plead all you want, but it's hard to concince someone that they're wrong and the facts are against you. Stick with the advice and wait it out.
  • 0

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
User avatar
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:37 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: homedepotpro » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:20 am

mega_swordman wrote:So according to the advice, as well as my own, the answer is simply no. People tend to associate explosions with bad things, like bombs. Furthermore, because you are using propane (which people know is flamable) as a propellent, they instantly draw the conclusion that it is creating explosions.

You can beg and plead all you want, but it's hard to concince someone that they're wrong and the facts are against you. Stick with the advice and wait it out.

thats right. you can't change the way people think
  • 0

User avatar
homedepotpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:00 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:21 am

homedepotpro wrote:
mega_swordman wrote:So according to the advice, as well as my own, the answer is simply no. People tend to associate explosions with bad things, like bombs. Furthermore, because you are using propane (which people know is flamable) as a propellent, they instantly draw the conclusion that it is creating explosions.

You can beg and plead all you want, but it's hard to concince someone that they're wrong and the facts are against you. Stick with the advice and wait it out.

thats right. you can't change the way people think


I disagree, you can change the way people think. You just shouldn't try it on your parents, lol.
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:33 am

paaiyan wrote:I disagree, you can change the way people think. You just shouldn't try it on your parents, lol.


That what I tried to say. You can change the way people think, however, when someone has their mind set about something, it's very difficult to change their belief. Unfortunatly, this isn't like the Crusades in which we can impose our beliefs on others in exchange for not ripping out their lungs.
  • 0

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
User avatar
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:37 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:35 am

mega_swordman wrote:
paaiyan wrote:I disagree, you can change the way people think. You just shouldn't try it on your parents, lol.


That what I tried to say. You can change the way people think, however, when someone has their mind set about something, it's very difficult to change their belief. Unfortunatly, this isn't like the Crusades in which we can impose our beliefs on others in exchange for not ripping out their lungs.


I suppose he could always build a rack in the basement and convince them that way...
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: Alchy_Bang » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:49 am

Well you could try to teach them about cannons and what not. but they're right its ..improbable. they probably wont listen to you. im almost 18 and my parents still treat me like im a 6 year old idiot, and i've been in college since I was about 16. Just don't bring it up for a good while and then warm them up to it. slowly.
  • 0

My immaginary friend doesn't like you, and he controlls my trigger finger.



www.myspace.com/oncesealed in blood
User avatar
Alchy_Bang
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:25 am
Location: california,US
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:52 am

Alchy_Bang wrote:Well you could try to teach them about cannons and what not. but they're right its ..improbable. they probably wont listen to you. im almost 18 and my parents still treat me like im a 6 year old idiot, and i've been in college since I was about 16. Just don't bring it up for a good while and then warm them up to it. slowly.


Well I'm 19 and I've tried to convince my dad of many things. All the logic, arguments and scientific proof in the world couldn't convince that man of anything. You might as well get used to that part...
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: Alchy_Bang » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:54 am

[/quote]

Well I'm 19 and I've tried to convince my dad of many things. All the logic, arguments and scientific proof in the world couldn't convince that man of anything. You might as well get used to that part...[/quote]


naw my father has cancer luckily. he'll be dead before too long (never liked the prick.)
  • 0

My immaginary friend doesn't like you, and he controlls my trigger finger.



www.myspace.com/oncesealed in blood
User avatar
Alchy_Bang
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:25 am
Location: california,US
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:56 am

Alchy_Bang wrote:

Well I'm 19 and I've tried to convince my dad of many things. All the logic, arguments and scientific proof in the world couldn't convince that man of anything. You might as well get used to that part...



naw my father has cancer luckily. he'll be dead before too long (never liked the prick.)


Ouch man, that's pretty harsh. Wait, what was this topic about again? Oh, I remember now. You could start making pneumatics instead man...
  • 0

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
User avatar
paaiyan
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: mike1010 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 am

i hate my dad too :D he is an ***hole how abused my mom and i. just build a compressed air cannon and show them the similarities and then explain see the explosion is no worse than the air then leave out the part were you say" both will put a nice big hole in your new car"
  • 0

User avatar
mike1010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:38 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:27 am

homedepotpro wrote:thats right. you can't change the way people think


A frying pan to the back of the head can :wink: But dont bother cops and parents arent worth getting into trouble over
  • 0

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
User avatar
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:23 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:41 am

I agree with most of the posts here, but I advise that you smoothly sneak in some spudgun info into regular talk. Then, if your parents are the patient type, start explaining more. If you can tell they are getting pissed, shut up and get outta there! :lol:

Crappy example : "Son, get me the OUST, would you?" "Sure dad. ya know, this is the same thing that I use to shoot spudguns."
:oops: A little Cheesy, I know.

Or, just demonstrate the guns to them. This usually works it they won't let you explain things without cutting you off. Show side by side, pnuematic vs. combustion. Show both shoot a potato. If you want to use your hybrid/combustion guns more, rig the test to make pneumatics seem more dangerous. (Thick burst disk). Also, show your parents the combustion w/o using propane. That will make it seem a lot less dangerous.
  • 0

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
User avatar
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:50 pm
Location: Near Philadelphia, PA
Reputation: 0

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'