Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

two-chamber com/pnu/hybrid

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 

What do ya think?

SWEETNESS!! Do it!!
67%
Yawn. Already done.
No votes
Not do-able/ supah hard
33%

Total votes : 3
  • Author
two-chamber com/pnu/hybrid

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:00 pm

UPDATED AND COMPACTED

Hey people, I am planning to make my next spud gun! I have a $150 (USA) bugdget, and I am looking to make something revolutionary! LOL. Also, I might not get around to making it for a while, so don't be mad when I kick this thread back to life every couple of weeks.

My idea is to build a gun that can shoot pnuematicly, through combustion, or as a hybrid. And the best part is, this design can be retro-fitted on most piston pneumatics! No need for two chambers.

I plan to have an under-over setup, with two chambers, one right behind another. See the new pic. The first chamber could be used for combustion, pnuematic, or hybrid, and the second would be a refil/extension chamber, separated by a ball valve. This chamber would vent the combustion chamber and propel a second potato.

I also will be able to do either 2 pneumatic shots, or 1 combustion and 1 pnuematic, or 1 really big pnuematic, or one really big combustion. This would mean that a sprinkler valve would get in the way. So, I would need to use a piston that would be open by default. If it was closed, this would turn into a pipe bomb. :D

Also, I do not want the second shot to be less powerfull than the first. That would mean that I would either need to make the second chamber be able to (safely) contain 200 psi, or I would need to use the "pnuematic refill" idea (using a spring) to accomplish this.

To accomodate the "2 shot" consept, I have also made this gun use cartrages, or a magasine. This way, I would mearly need to flip a valve and slide in a new cartrage. Also, a 1.5 inch barrel could be slid into the 3'' barrel.

I am looking to get at least 200 yards woth this beast, so I'll up the budget to $200 if need be.

Thanks for reading, that was a long post! ANY help, ideas, critisims, refinements, or anything is apreciated!!

Attachments
spudplans.jpg
Here's the original graph. one square is one inch. Very rough, I already notaced several errors. LOOK AT THE NEW ONE!
AMP- C pic lo-fi.jpg
Here's the new plans! Very clean and consise! Be sure to take a look! I updated, now half the file size.
Last edited by Hailfire753 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.
UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:12 pm

Use double chambers with a ball valve on each chamber to select between chambers and have the ball valves linked by a Tee and 2 elbows. Have the Tee connected to the pneumatic valve of your choice. That will give you two shots. With this design you can also combine the two chambers by opening both ball valves to allow both chambers to be fired at once giving you a more powerful shot.

EDIt: i didnt read all of your post, so i just realized you already mentioned this

Last edited by origin unknown on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Unread postAuthor: hi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:17 pm

what you could do is have two chambers, connect them with a tee and put ball valves between them. the sprinkler valve would be attached to the ball valve.

that way you can fire a combustion shot, close the combustion chamber and fire apneumatic shot (open ball valve, then open sprinkler valve).

thats my idea.

if this is totally off topic its because i only read about half your post. :oops:

you could also just make a combustion with a union, that way it could be a burst disk pneumatic.

edit- orgin unknown beat be by 5 minutes, how did that happen?

Last edited by hi on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:17 pm

Oh. :oops: I kinda sorta thought of that. The difference is that I wanted It to be in one line, so it could be held easier. Also, the tee design doesn't vent the first chamber, but that is easily fixed with a fan.

Also, how would the combustion work? Would the sprincler valve be okay in front of the combusion chamber? Also, could I use a solonoid instead of sprinkler? How much is one of them? I want a triger grip, so should I use that or an airgun?

How much does the under-over design hurt performance (if at all)?

Edit- I thought of the burst disk thing already, but I like the idea of being in contol of when the gun shoots. :lol:

UPDATED MARCH '08
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 pm

Why not build a pneumatic powered by a 5lb co2?
Portability of a combustion with the ease of a pneumatic

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:04 pm

For portability, you might try this. It'll be hard to do, but it might work. Make the combustion and pneumatic chambers parallel to each other. Then make some device that rotates the barrel around an axis that is between the chambers, and have the barrel be able to slide back so you can lock it in with a cam lever coupling, or whatever that's called. That way, you hold the gun by the chamber(s), and the barrel rotates. You could even do multiple barrels for a minigun look! :twisted:

The only issue with the concept is the method of actuation for the pneumatic chamber. You could have an unmodified solenoid for the pneumatic part, so that you can mount a switch near the stungun. If you want to go with a piston, you could still have the solenoid for simplicity of firing, but have it be the pilot instead. Sorry if I seem vague... :roll:

Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:11 pm

I do know someone on the UKSGC forums made a 'hybird' pneumatic and combustion in one gun, I don't mean a pressurizing fuel hybird, I mean hybrid as in two things made into one. Go check their forums out.

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:42 am

Hey, I saw what you mean, MrCrowley. That is sorta what I mean, except mine would be pvc.

I want to keep the orriginal form factor, so maybe I will just attach them at a tee (using a long pipe) instead of one behind another.

My design seems to create lots of bends though, how would this affect preformance?

UPDATED MARCH '08
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:43 pm

You could use a wye. It'd be slightly less bends... :lol:

Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Alabaster » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:19 pm

u know i just akd the question some were else if this was possible good luck building it.

Alabaster
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Hey people, I updated the post, Be sure to look at the new pic!!

UPDATED MARCH '08
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:35 pm

I like the magazine idea that fits between the two couplings like a cartrige. I might have to use that on my cannon with the same cartrige style reloading.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:39 pm

Lol, it was a revelation! glad you like it.

Do you think that Sch 40 PVC could hold 200 psi safly? I think I saw them rated up to 250-300 psi, but I could be wrong. Could I do hybrid shots? 1.5 mix, maybe? :lol:

UPDATED MARCH '08
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:51 pm

Don't use 3" for the 200psi chamber. 3" PVC is usually cell core and it may explode. I would go with 2" sch40 for that chamber. Make sure your endcap is welded on tightly too. I would never trust it for a hybid shot of any type mix.
EDIT: you could use a large fire extinguisher for the 200psi tank

origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:25 pm

^I didn't think 3" pvc-pw was that rare. I have yet to see dwv around here. At least sch80 is needed for a hybrid though.
Unfortunately, I can only see half of the new diagram because spudfiles keeps timing out on me (or something). Maybe if you make a gif that loads faster it would solve the problem.
You know, the hybrid I made fires as a combustion and pneumatic also. It isn't very powerful as a normal combustion, but as a pnuematic works fairly well at ~100+psi.
If you still want ideas and suggestions, maybe you can rip some ideas from it and apply them to your launcher.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related