Spud Wiki!

Talk about what ever......keep the political bantering in the "Politics" section.

Postby Drew Rowland » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:35 am

Everyone who's going to work on the wiki should take a look at the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style">Manual of Style</a>. I've been going through and trying to add pictures for articles that need them, emphasizing the title in the first sentance, etc. Uniformity does make it much easier to read.

EDITâ€â€
Drew Rowland

Postby GalFisk » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:43 am

That's a good link, I know I haven't been following all of it myself, but I'll try to use it as a guideline more.
I've noticed that the articles tend to use two different forms, I don't know what they're called (2nd and 3rd person maybe?), one uses "you" (as in "you can increase performance by..."), the other way would be "performance can be increased by...". I think the second way sounds more "encyclopedic", but I haven't been changing articles written the other way. Would it be better if it was done one way, or is that being too picky?
I haven't thought about the server being slow, but then again I'm used to Wikipedia speeds :p
GalFisk

Postby Drew Rowland » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:29 pm

I think it's off to a great start, but I think we need to add more generalized information for those that come across the wiki as the first contact with spudguns. (we can hope!) To that end I created a link on the main page to the as-yet nonexistant article, "What is a spudgun?". If anyone has the time to write it, or pirate it from somewhere else, please do. I would but I'm kindof busy right now.
Drew Rowland

Postby aturner » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:35 pm

I just browsed through and made a few minor edits. Nice job on this so far.

Will this eventually become part of the wikipedia, or will it remain as part of spudfiles?

Maybe it's worth considering what falls under the umbrella of a spud wiki? Like the sub-categories? For example, I wonder whether BBMG deserves it's own wiki, since I don't think of them as "spudguns". However, I do think of BBMG as air powered.

The navigation is a bit cumbersome. I had to constantly hit back or just return to the main page to get around. Maybe this will improve as more information is added, but I felt like I kept getting led to dead ends in the information.

Also felt like I didn't really get an overall sense for a spudgun, but rather a good sense for all the individual components.

I think Drew has a good point about adding general info targeted at new folks.

And I don't mean to complain! It really is a nice project, and I'm interested in trying to help.
aturner

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby PCGUY » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The navigation is a bit cumbersome. I had to constantly hit back or just return to the main page to get around.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Clicking the logo gets you back to the main page.
PCGUY
Site Admin

Postby The Blight » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:01 pm

I think he means that there is no middle-thing. There is only 2 options. Hitting back or going back to the main page.
The Blight

Postby aturner » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:21 am

Exactly. Only two extremes--back button a bunch of times, or back to the main page.

But maybe that's how a wiki should be?
aturner

Postby PCGUY » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:05 am

Well I didn't build the wiki software and that's how the wikipedia site runs so I guess it's their idea of how it should work.
PCGUY
Site Admin

Postby aturner » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:43 pm

You didn't build the wiki software? That's too bad. All this time I was thinkin' you invented wiki and Al Gore invented the internet. Anyway, thanks for the enlightenment.

I prefer the existing wikipedia entry for spud guns....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spudgun
...mostly b/c it is more direct and to the point. The "official" wikipedia is more focused on traditional spudguns. Plus the official wiki requires no navigation because it contains all of the information on one page. It was nice to not have to click through a maze of pages.
aturner

Postby BC Pneumatics » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:12 pm

I preffer a wiki that has room to expand, and give infi that would be useful to the people of this site.
BC Pneumatics

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion