Weird how life turns out....

Talk about what ever......keep the political bantering in the "Politics" section.

Postby Molerat » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:09 pm

Anyone ever noticed how, as kids, our parents would punish or scold us for not sharing with friends or others. We would eventually begin sharing everything, but in our own "information age" generation, we get sued, arrested, threatened and harassed for sharing. Weird, huh?
Molerat

Postby Pimpmann22 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 am

Well I think for the most part prior to our "information age" sharing was fairly limited. There are two types of sharing that pertain to this discussion:
"Personal relation - sharing"
"F*ck I don't even know what country you live in - sharing"

I see what your trying to say, but I believe in your ignorance your ignoring the fact that the sells of large corporations greatly suffer from this "sharing". Uploading a movie that takes you what... 30 minutes? In turn 1,000 people DL the movie. Lets see if corporation pushing the product could have made 20$ a pop off each one of those is that the fair manners that your trying to compare with? I personally download files that do not benefit the original 'pushing' corporation for my own reasons. Its not bad in my eye because have you ever noticed that illegal activities are what make the internet thrive? A industry that deals its items on a physical item that can be gained electronically, is going to suffer.
Pimpmann22

Postby Molerat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:27 am

You make a very good point. Information, such as audio or movie data, can be tangible in the form of a disk or intangible in the form of a file. Anything that can be sold either way can also be swapped amongst consumers either way, depending wether or not you wish to pay.
Molerat

Postby TurboSuper » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:03 pm

I dunno...information piracy has been going on for a fairly long time now, yet I fail to see any industries going belly up.

Music artists make most of their money from concerts and shows...recording companies eat up most of the CD profits (and they charge $18 for a CD...bite me!).

Video games/movies are a different story, but usually the movies you download have much worse quality than the storebought ones. Plus, some movies can have already made billions in the box office. If they didn't then not many people would buy the video anyways (don't most people rent?). Game piracy will cost the developer, but then you have things like MMOs which essentially eliminate that problem.

I think companies actually want you to pirate stuff like Photoshop- look at it this way:

Would you ever pay $800+ for a photo editing program? Hell no!

Would you download it for free? Sure! Why not?

Now..you go to work and you happen to be working as a graphics artist...they ask you what program you're familiar with and you say "Photoshop", since you've had practice with your pirated version. If enough people are familiar with it, then that company will have to go out and buy actual copies.
TurboSuper

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Navigator7 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:27 pm

Sounds like you have an ethics problem, Turbosuper?
The longest distance between two points is a short cut.
Just because you won't get caught doesn't mean it's not stealing.
All the programs I use are bought and paid for...with pride and no guilty conscience.
Navigator7

Postby boilingleadbath » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:13 pm

No, nav, he has a morals problem - from your veiwpoint.
Use the right terminology.

The neat thing about the low cost of hosting - or "hosting" torents - is that it essentialy allows new buisness strategies to be developed and implemented by the individual without significant investment... which I think is really cool.
boilingleadbath

Postby spuzi14 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:35 pm

I was and am being raised to be kind to others and help them out. I've come to realize that doesn't work in this day and age. So I help those close to me, and be friends with other people.
spuzi14

Postby randomvictim » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:56 pm

They would scold you for not sharing with your friends but I am sure they would scold you a lot more if you had actually went to a store and stole all the movies and music you have downloaded.
randomvictim

Postby TurboSuper » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Navigator7
[br]Sounds like you have an ethics problem, Turbosuper?
The longest distance between two points is a short cut.
Just because you won't get caught doesn't mean it's not stealing.
All the programs I use are bought and paid for...with pride and no guilty conscience.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It doesn't say anywhere in my post that I partake in any of my aforementioned activities, I am simply stating that it isn't as horrible as it's made out to be. Heck, it can even be beneficial to the so called "victims" in the long run. How you conclude that I have an ethics problem I do not know.

Personally, I think the best software to use is the truly free stuff.
TurboSuper

Return to General Discussion