Propellant choice of the serious spudder?

Postby BigBang » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:40 pm

Aside from the smell, I have become pretty much a fan of MAPP.
BigBang

Postby sgort87 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:53 pm

I tried MAPP for the first time over Thanksgiving weekend in PA with JSpellman and Darth Tater. I will never use it again.

It has been recorded to boost a combustion launcher's power by 11% from propane. In my book, that's not worth gagging to death from the horrid stench.
sgort87

Postby LukeSkyRocket » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:22 pm

Ether is good. It stinks (I mean, smells nasty) if you put too much in and there's some unburnt fuel left, but I rather enjoy the smell of the ether itself. It's about the same power as hair spray, but I think I'm getting more consistency from it, fewer duds. On my combustion, it's hard not to overdose b/c it comes out so fast. But that means it's quick, and I don't loose much fuel if there's a breeze (it's a pain to use hairspray if there's wind), it works great in cold weather, and the high spray velocity means it goes all throughout the chamber, so you get a good mix.
LukeSkyRocket

Postby FLONE » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:27 pm

Static Guard alone or Kleen-Strip denatured alcohol with a Static Guard chaser to ignite the alky. Not chronographed, just seat of the pants science.
FLONE

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby D_Hall » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:43 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by FLONE
[br]Static Guard alone or Kleen-Strip denatured alcohol with a Static Guard chaser to ignite the alky. Not chronographed, just seat of the pants science.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
"Seat of the pants" and "science" are mutually exclusive.
D_Hall

Postby fullmetaljacket » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:52 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">"Seat of the pants" and "science" are mutually exclusive.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well said :D
fullmetaljacket

Postby BewareOfDog » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:12 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by D_Hall
"Seat of the pants" and "science" are mutually exclusive.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
"Well engineered" and "well designed" are mutually exclusive, in my opinion.
BewareOfDog

Postby aturner » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:56 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DR
[br]"Well engineered" and "well designed" are mutually exclusive, in my opinion. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Dude, get over your inferiority complex.
aturner

Postby BigBang » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:59 pm

Gonna have to agree with Aturner on this one. Engineering is all about design. That is where it starts and is ultimately what engineering is all about.

Wanna know who my favorite two engineers are. Probably not, but here they are:

1) My Dad. I'm an engineer because of him. He is an astounding machine designer. Whatever he puts his hands to works in the end. Moreover I'd call him a craftsman because his attention to detail is second to none. Why do I sand and paint all my spudguns? Because my Dad would have done so. My ideal vision of engineering is where art, design and science converge. Some of what it takes comes by virtue of years of study - most comes about through experience.

My Dad graduated highschool - no more. I, on the other hand have a bunch of years of engineering graduate school behind me. I can solve differential equations in my sleep, and I can think in the most abstract terms possible, but I still struggle to hold my head high and claim to be an engineer when I'm around some who REALLY know what they are doing.

2) One of my now deceased best friends. He had an associates degree in electronics and I had a Ph.D when we met. Our friendship was unlikely for other reasons as well. Nevertheless we made an amazing team when it came to electronic and RF circuit designs. His creativity and experience we used to come up with grand ideas. My science/math/modeling skills we used to do refinements and optimizations. I miss him. Some of my best ever work was in collaboration with him.

Despite your sometimes metastable nature, you are a true craftsman and engineer in my mind, DR. I'm sure most would agree.
BigBang

Postby FLONE » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:06 pm

Yeah, give me my lumps, I deserve them. Scientifically well engineered I ain't!
FLONE

PreviousNext

Return to Hybrid Launchers