12V cheapie air compressor?


Postby Dumbascii » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:29 pm

Has anyone tried a 12V cheapie air compressor to pressurize a hybrid? Or would it take like 15 minutes to reach 60PSI? I'm trying to avoid dragging around a normal huge air compressor.
Dumbascii
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:33 am
Location: USA
 

Postby c0mpl3x » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:05 pm

look for a gpm rating, its probably at a lower psi than what its rated for. if it's say, 1.3gpm, and your chamber is 2gallons, then you know how long itll take
c0mpl3x
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: USA
 

Postby TurboSuper » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:38 pm

I've heard stories of those burning out after continuous use, I think they're just designed for emergencies.
TurboSuper
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:29 pm
Location: Canada
 

Postby Drew Rowland » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:34 pm

complex, those ratings can be decieving. A gallon/min is the volume <i>at atmospheric pressure</i>, so if its 1.3 gpm, at 60psi, ((2)(60))/((1.3)(14.7))=6.28 mins. Apologies if this was an assumption, but it was a bit ambiguous.
Drew Rowland
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: USA
 

Sponsored

Sponsor
 
 

Postby c0mpl3x » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Drew Rowland
[br]complex, those ratings can be decieving. A gallon/min is the volume <i>at atmospheric pressure</i>, so if its 1.3 gpm, at 60psi, ((2)(60))/((1.3)(14.7))=6.28 mins. Apologies if this was an assumption, but it was a bit ambiguous.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

example: 9.5cfm @ 50psi, 6.3 @ 90psi

this would be around the rating of a ~2hp 10gal compressor, 12v comressors are a different story
c0mpl3x
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: USA
 

Postby BewareOfDog » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:54 pm

They work just fine!- I've used those litle cheapy air compressor to pressurize mixtures in a 4" Diameter x 36" long chamber.


If you're doing this in your backyard though... You may want to consider water presure to pressurize the mixture, like on the GenII hybrid? ;)
BewareOfDog
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:37 am
Location: USA
 

Postby Dumbascii » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:46 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by DR</i><br>They work just fine!- I've used those litle cheapy air compressor to pressurize mixtures in a 4" Diameter x 36" long chamber.

If you're doing this in your backyard though... You may want to consider water presure to pressurize the mixture, like on the GenII hybrid? <;)></blockquote>Thanks DR! $15 works great. 45 PSI 4X MAPP/air in about 50 seconds. Haven't tested with spud yet (weather is crappy). Need a better burst disc to get over 45 PSI. I wonder about maybe fiberglass cloth plus polyethylene? The poly would take more pressure if it wasn't allowed to inflate so much. Might take some dangerous pressure to pop the fiberglass . . .

I have a nice 1% gauge with a big dial, so I hope to be able to fine-tune consistent mixes. Water would foul the ignition system immediately.
Dumbascii
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:33 am
Location: USA
 

Postby BewareOfDog » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:02 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>Originally posted by Dumbascii</b>
Thanks DR! $15 works great. 45 PSI 4X MAPP/air in about 50 seconds. Haven't tested with spud yet (weather is crappy). Need a better burst disc to get over 45 PSI. I wonder about maybe fiberglass cloth plus polyethylene? The poly would take more pressure if it wasn't allowed to inflate so much. Might take some dangerous pressure to pop the fiberglass . . . <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Go with the polyethylene! - I've been using the plastic from 2-Liter soda bottles for years now, although I'm not sure how difficult it would be in your breech-loading system?

Aluminum foil (believe it or not) is a cheap alternative, that's pretty easy to work with. - Each layer of aluminum foil will hold back about 15psi...

But again, I'm not sure if it will tear too easily, while being pushed up against the sharpened edge of your breech "spud-cutter".

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I have a nice 1% gauge with a big dial, so I hope to be able to fine-tune consistent mixes. Water would foul the ignition system immediately.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not if you made a setup like this: <a href="http://pages.villagephotos.com/page.asp?page_id=3731">HPSCL</a>
BewareOfDog
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:37 am
Location: USA
 

Postby SkweezMyCheez » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by TurboSuper
[br]I've heard stories of those burning out after continuous use, I think they're just designed for emergencies.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">



Happend to me. Thing burnt out at 80 psi after about 6 uses. But da,n those thing get to a high pressure, I've shot stuff at 180psi with it.
SkweezMyCheez
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: USA
 
 

Return to Hybrid Launchers

cron