my hybrid question/threory... scuba tank

Postby fullmetaljacket » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:42 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">i dont think thats true because the m16 is aluminum, most of it is any way. but that uses gun powder, not mapp gas. and that may be true, but i think it would depend on what kind of combustion it was.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The M16 uses a lot of aluminium but the surfaces which come into contact with the propellant gases are steel.

I think it's more likely that the heat generated by combustion would oxidize the aluminium rather than the gas.
fullmetaljacket

Postby hi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:31 am

im not using a scuba tank after all. although my new (work in progress) hybrid is made entirly of metal. im using a stungun for ignition, but i have have no idea how to insulate the wires. please help if you can. i was thinking JB weld, will that work?

my next problem is that everything screws together. i have read multiple times that it isnt very strong compared to a good weld to have things screw together, so my question is should i screw it together, or weld it? does it matter?

I would really appreciate any help i can get.
hi

Postby Numbuh 16 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:44 pm

Well, if its metal, it's steel, it won't explode. I thought you were using PVC or something. =p
Numbuh 16

Postby hi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:54 pm

i'm not sure what it is, i just know its sch 40, and it weighs about 5-6 pounds. its a 2x12 nipple. should i weld it or does it really matter? what about wire insulation?
hi

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby SPG » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:39 am

Does a magnet stick to it? It's steel, or at least iron.
Does a magnet fall off and it's a silver/grey colour? It's aluminium or some alloy.
Does a magnet fall off and it's an orange/brown colour? It's copper.
Does a magnet fall off and it's gold/yellow? It's brass.

There's lots of other metals out there, I know, but these are the four commonly used ones in pipe fittings.
SPG

Postby hi » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:31 pm

its iron or steel, the magnet sticks. my guess is iron, i picked it up in the at my local hardware store for $12. i think steel would cost more than that. its sch 40 with sch 80 fittings (they screw together perfectly). i read that an average operating pressure is 25 bar and it would be safe for a 5x mix, though i probly won't go that high. i read it that spudfiles. i dont know if its true, but i beleave it. so that means that the burst pressure is much higher. maybe ill just sleave it with sch 4 adaptors, that would work wouldn't it?
hi

Postby Sardaukar » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hi
[br] im using a stungun for ignition, but i have have no idea how to insulate the wires. please help if you can. i was thinking JB weld, will that work?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If your chamber is metal, the easiest way to get the spark inside the chamber is with a spark plug.
Sardaukar

Postby hi. » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:21 pm

hi.

Previous

Return to Hybrid Launchers