Hover Crafts

Post stuff here pertaining to non-spud related projects that many forum members seem to enjoy. Hovercrafts, dirt bikes, electronics, propane-powered bikes, go-karts, etc. This is more of a project area,
not a place to chat about what you saw yesterday on TV. Remember to keep it within the forum rules!

Postby orangekid13 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:10 am

that's how it works... but if you blow air into the skirt and have holes on the inside edge of it, you acomplish two things: inflating the skirt constantly so you don't have to worry about popping it and you won't have to worry if it does get a couple tears, and you do the "air hockey table" thing.

If you have more air going under it, and thus more coming out around the edges, it will ride higher, and you won't have to worry about running INTO things like bumps in the ground or waves, and if there's a gap, from say a dip in the ground or a wave, it won't immediately stop hovering, and you can actually have a practical use for it.
orangekid13

Postby sgort87 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:07 am

I mean use tubes of air that are permanently inflated and have the air leak around them rather than from them.
sgort87

Postby orangekid13 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:55 am

and when you hit a rock, they have no give and you're screwed cause air coming out of under a flat skirt does you no good
orangekid13

Postby sgort87 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:32 pm

Will this actually work on land? I haven't seen it work except on water or a flat flooring.
sgort87

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby CBFryman » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:46 pm

they work perfectly fine on land. they work on any terain which is even semi smooth :)

Why would there be any more drag on water than on land though? no part of the hovercraft will be touching the water. remember, when its on water its going to be on a river with narow banks, slow flow, and reletively small number of boats...99% of the time the river is glass...brown glass (tanic acid water).

so now that we have lift taken care of (sort of) as far as air is concerned, what is a cheap skirt fabric, im fairly proficent in sewing. Would a lether tybe material backed with nylon (for durability and tear protection) work? im assumeing it would. also, alot of hovercraft skirts i see have pleats sewn into them. woudl it be beneficial to sew pleats into the skirt?
CBFryman

Postby orangekid13 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:53 pm

do some research... canvas or denim (hey, you could get huge jeans from goodwill for this part) waterproofed (keeps the air in too)

on water, it will not ride completely ON TOP. It will ride a little lower, so when you start going, you will be pushing a wave regardless of how smooth it was. Until you get goin enough to get up on top of that wave, you're not going to be able to go very fast. (yet another thing to research on, it's good to know what's going to happen before it does)
orangekid13

Postby davidbowie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:07 pm

you can get rubbery nylon fabric at fabric stores.

Orangekid, this is a 2-person hovercraft. Those would have to be some HUGE jeans. My goodwill has size 60 (eeew), but that's still way too small.

I'm thinking tarp, pondliner (expensive), or thick drop-cloth would work.
davidbowie

Postby spudman029 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:09 pm

I made a small disc hovercraft out of 1/2" plywood and thick, plastic moving wrap for the skirt. I used a staple gun and ducttape to attatch the skirt, and a leafblower in the center provided lift. I was thinking about making a more reliable craft, but I have a few question about them. Whenever i would ride on the hovercraft i made, it would ride along the floor, but when i would lean to one side, it would skid along whatever i was riding on(garage floor). Why is this? And does anybody know how far a normal hovercraft shoud hover?
spudman029

Postby orangekid13 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:33 pm

i meant you could buy more than one pair, and sew the big panels together... since you're looking for the budget approach
orangekid13

Postby davidbowie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:13 pm

Yes. I would still go with fabric bought by itself, but jeans around your hovercraft would have it's own kind of cool factor.

Wait... When do you add the mounted spudguns and BBMG's?

If you could run a belt off of your lift engine to a small engineless air compressor, you would have a perfect set-up for pneumatics and strafers.
davidbowie

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Projects