Hover Crafts

Post stuff here pertaining to non-spud related projects that many forum members seem to enjoy. Hovercrafts, dirt bikes, electronics, propane-powered bikes, go-karts, etc. This is more of a project area,
not a place to chat about what you saw yesterday on TV. Remember to keep it within the forum rules!

Postby spudman029 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:24 pm

Haha! Great idea david!
spudman029

Postby CBFryman » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:36 pm

we where thinking of a potato gun for turbo boost or reverse thrusters :D
CBFryman

Postby Lord of the Rings Junkie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:45 pm

Mythbusters did this, and they concluded that it's pretty much impossible to build a hovercraft from common objects and expect it to perform well. They did make two working crafts (one by Adam and one by Jamie), but they didn't work all that well and they couldn't go on water.
Lord of the Rings Junkie

Postby davidbowie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:12 pm

This would be why he's using two gas engines and decent sized props, as well as looking for a good skirt material. IIRC mythbusters had a vacuum cleaner. The xinventions guys seem to be doing fairly well with similar resources, and if you can't trust them, then who CAN you trust hmm? ;)

CB, you should have a BBMG, which wouldn't interfere with the movement much, on a swivel mount so that the non-driver (copilot?) can fire at will. some kind of overhead suspension thing would be cool (just make sure it CAN'T in any way hit the other guy in your craft). As for spudguns, i'm thinking you should have one golfball gun onboard. Cyl-Bolt or just bolt action would be awesome. Find a place to mount it so that it's not to either side (you don't want to spin), with elevation control. If you're on a river, it would be awesome to take it out and fire some straight ahead shots from low down, so that they skip along in front of you.

Here's another idea: Have a flexible tube mounted off the back, flexible enough so that will stay underwater while you move about, but not get in the way while you're on land. run this up to either a homemade hand pump or a drill pump (small water pump about the size of a sprinkler valve, powered by a drill). Hook up the output to a nozzle for filling water balloons. I don't know how much use you would get out of it, but I figure you might as well take advantage of all that water around you.
davidbowie

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby SpudMonster » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:13 pm

IIRC david, they used LEAF BLOWERS. Lots of them.
SpudMonster

Postby CBFryman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:49 pm

there are lots of cases where leaf blowers have provided good lift andMythbusters found it plausable. i didnt see the show so i dont know how plausable but i looked up the results...plus that kind of thing they aren exactly great at :)
CBFryman

Postby davidbowie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:25 pm

Leaf blowers are quite excellent for this purpose. I have made a hovercraft out of 2 4X8 sheets of 1/2" plywood that rose over a foot with power from a cheap black+decker electric leaf vacuum. They've got plenty of power.
davidbowie

Postby Green Villain » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:41 pm

rubber roofing might work. I guess it's the same as pond liner, and you can buy it by the linear foot, instead of a huge piece for a pond.
Green Villain

Postby ahmadz5 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:54 am

I wanna ask, could you use hallow PVC tubes instead of the skirt. This way you dont fill with air, no chance of poping, not much leakage more durable. Maybe like a 6" one?
ahmadz5

Postby davidbowie » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:43 am

you mean just skid around on pipes? no. The point of a hovercraft is that higher pressure inside the skirt lifts up the craft. Pipes on the bottom would just scrape against the ground and not work.
davidbowie

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Projects