Hover Crafts

Post stuff here pertaining to non-spud related projects that many forum members seem to enjoy. Hovercrafts, dirt bikes, electronics, propane-powered bikes, go-karts, etc. This is more of a project area,
not a place to chat about what you saw yesterday on TV. Remember to keep it within the forum rules!

Postby orangekid13 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:46 pm

the skirt is supposed to be flexible to contour to general imperfections in the ground. if you go off a curb, you're going to lose pressure and might get stuck though, it's not for stuff like that.
there is a R/C hovercraft sharper image has for use on short carpet and hard surfaces that uses semi-dense foam for the skirt, but that's very sensitive to the surface it's on

Postby crazyjap » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:44 pm

how bout using a sheet of 1/2 in ply ontop of a cheap two man inflatable raft u can buy at walmart made by coleman. use a razor knife cut the bottom out lay the sheet ontop use a leaf blower as inflation and a cut down garbage can on back as the duct for a weed eater with a fan blade or prop. sounds difficult but its cheap and cruising speed is bout 15 knots. but it does go on water

Postby wooffer » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:39 pm

<a href="http://clip.break.com/dnet/media/content/homemadehover.wmv">Hovercraft Video Link</a>

<!--<embed SRC="http://clip.break.com/dnet/media/content/homemadehover.wmv" WIDTH="400" HEIGHT="320" AUTOPLAY="true" ></embed><br><a href="http://www.break.com?e=1" target="_blank">As seen on Break.com</a>-->

<i>Please don't embed videos in the page as stated by Rule 5) F. You should also add a description of the video in your post.</i>

i saw this on big-boys. my freshman science teacher had one of these and we got to ride it down the hallway one day. it was pretty kick ass but it was a plug in leaf blower so we could only go as far as the extension cord would let us.

Postby Shrimphead » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:47 pm

Hey have you guys seen the second hovercraft at xinventions.com? It has a blower for lift and it seems to work well. A weedwacker hooked up to a large model airplane prop provides thrust. I think the skirt might be made of neoprene, and if it's not, I've heard of other hovercrafts that are.

Postby The Blight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:22 pm

I just read this and got to point out that ahmadz asked if you could use pvc TUBING not pipe. Tubing can be very flexible.
The Blight

Postby davidbowie » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm

yes, but he also said you wouldn't have to fill them with air. I think he meant pipe.

Postby The Blight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:03 pm

I think he means that you dont have to fill the tube for it to work as the air contained under the hovercraft will lift it up no matter what. He also said tubing not pipes, so lets just assume that he meant tubing and not pipe.
The Blight

Postby davidbowie » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:55 pm

ok. Let's also avoid an argument.

I like the idea of cutting the bottom out of a raft, but you would still need to install a drawstring or something to keep the skirt from ripping or blowing out. I might have to try that sometime with some cheap pool float.

Postby jimmy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:08 pm

Many simple hovercrafts don't use a drawstring since the skirt is not a cylinder.

Postby SMOMW » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:45 pm

I used that simple design jimmy and it didn't work all that great. It worked well for skidding around on the concrete but if you got onto aything that might cut or rip your material it would ruin the skirt, even a small rip would screw with the way it functioned....

I plan on making a remote controlled hovercraft however useing that skirt design, i'll post it whenever i get around to THAT project.....

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Projects