Old hard drives

Post stuff here pertaining to non-spud related projects that many forum members seem to enjoy. Hovercrafts, dirt bikes, electronics, propane-powered bikes, go-karts, etc. This is more of a project area,
not a place to chat about what you saw yesterday on TV. Remember to keep it within the forum rules!

Postby clide » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:30 pm

I got oodles of old hard drives from my dad's work, most of them less than 2 GB, so obviously they are not useful for storing data. I was wondering if you guys had any good ideas of what to do with them.

Of course I will be using some of them as targets (and possibly projectiles), and I'll probably take the magnet out of all of them.

Any other ideas of fun ways to destroy them or creative things to do with their parts?
clide

Postby spudshot » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:39 pm

you can melt them down and cast them if you have a small foundry, most of them are aluminum i guess
spudshot

Postby SpudMonster » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:47 pm

SpudMonster

Postby clide » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:54 pm

Heh, I actually already tried the hard drive speakers, but I couldn't find an amp around that I already have, and I don't really want to spend $20+ just to get one.

Yeah, I noticed they look like aluminum, I may look into making a small foundry.

Edit: NM, I got the hard drive speaker working, I guess it was just a bad solder job the first time. Unfortunately the only amp I could find has a subwoofer built into it so It's thumping pretty loud by the time the hard drive starts making much sound.
clide

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby BillyBobJoe » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:25 pm

Take the magnets out of em'. They have some really powerful ones - http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/neodym.html Yours might be sorta small, but if you can't find anything else to do with them . . .
BillyBobJoe

Postby orangekid13 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:53 am

i have got to try the hard drive speakers... i could set up a huge array of them if i talked to the network admin from my high school, there should still be a pile of 2gb hdd's in the surplus room
orangekid13

Postby the moog » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:32 am

the moog

Postby jimmy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:08 pm

You could take the disks out and maker a disk flinger to throw them.

Or, remove the read heads, make the connection from the drive motor to disk non-permanent, power up the motor and see if you can launch the disks from the drive itself?

(The afroman speakers are a crack up. Go the Greatful Dead route and use about fifty of the drives...)
jimmy

Postby orangekid13 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:22 pm

I usually take the magnets out and store them on screws in my james bond style attic (my mirror is the door, the house came like that) so i don't rip my fingers open separating them or magnetize anything, and put the platters on puspins on my wall. The magnets come in really handy when running cat5 network cable through the walls, you have someone put it on the cieling where the wire needs to be dropped, and you can find it a lot easier than knocking, and you don't have to put a hole in the cieling...
I'm redoing my desk when I get home in may, and i'm going to spread them out, maybe get more. I'll definately ask my old teacher about getting some more old ones, decorate with some and save 4 or so for speakers...
orangekid13

Postby Lord of the Rings Junkie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:39 pm

I third taking out the NIB magnets!8) (I just bought 5 1" dia. x 1" long rod magnets from UN...) Man these things are fun... Challenge your friends to pull them directly apart without sliding them or anything.:)
Lord of the Rings Junkie

Next

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Projects