Egg Drop Assignment

Post stuff here pertaining to non-spud related projects that many forum members seem to enjoy. Hovercrafts, dirt bikes, electronics, propane-powered bikes, go-karts, etc. This is more of a project area,
not a place to chat about what you saw yesterday on TV. Remember to keep it within the forum rules!

Postby theexp » Fri May 19, 2006 5:31 pm

I'm liking dr's idea, haha
Thanks for all the suggestoins
theexp

Postby greeneyedboy5 » Fri May 19, 2006 5:50 pm

Maybe, construct a strong box, tape the egg suspended in the middle of the box, fill it with jello (as DR said) and seal all the leaks with silicon. Rap the whole thing tightly with ducktape. Cover the box with the stuff nasa uses thats in those beds and your done.
greeneyedboy5

Postby Drew Rowland » Fri May 19, 2006 5:56 pm

Procedure:

Go to a store, and buy all the glue sticks they have. In a bowl or something, melt a shitload of glue sticks, so you have a couple inches down. You can probably do this on a stovetop if your careful. Then glue the egg to it, and fill it the rest of the way up. The key to this is getting the greates surface area in contact with the egg. Just cast the egg in the middle of huge blob of rubbery glue. If its cheaper, use silicone adhesive, it dries into a really soft rubbery substance as well.
Drew Rowland

Postby sgort87 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:39 pm

That will still crack from the shock. The key is to absorb it all by letting the egg travel which is exactly why I chose to let it sink in goo. Remember also that you want the most mass as possible to keep the box straight.

I forgot to tell you guys but on mine I layered the entire bottom with a shit load of bbs and a layer of silicone to ensure that the box did not flip over. It worked.
sgort87

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby harmon12407 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:27 pm

okay, well i dont know if you guys noticed, but he said that you can only use straws, tape, and glue...

i did this in middle school and won. i actually did something along the lines of what bigred28 said:

quote: What might work well is building a frame out of straws, and then using either duct or electrical tape to suspend the egg in the middle of the frame prism. that way, the tape will absorb much of the inertia. the main issue with taht would be building a frame out of straws that would stand up to a fall with the weight of an egg in it. maybe taping the straws for rigidity...?

i think he's deff onto the right track. I know you can only use straws, but i used straws w/ balsa inside them to make a pyramid frame. The pyramid could probably be made rigid enough if you used enough duct tape. I think that the pyramid should be about 2 to 2.5 feet tall. I had the egg in a crate suspended in the middle of the pyramid by rubber bands.. you could probably use tape like bigred said to keep it in place, and the flexibility of the straw structure should absorb a good deal of shock. make a pouch out of duct tape for the egg and suspend it in the middle with a strip from each vertex. the actual straw structure should be durable, but fairly flexible so that it will absorb shock on impact. (ie make it so that the frame bends a little when it hits, but not so much that the egg will reach the ground when it flexes.) Mine hit the ground and bounced about 3 feet in the air. Just drop it from the top so that flat base hits the floor and it should absorb the effects of impact quite nicely. good luck!
harmon12407

Postby bigred28 » Sun May 21, 2006 10:47 am

word. ^ harmon's my dog.[:p]
bigred28

Postby Velocity » Sun May 21, 2006 12:44 pm

roll it up in a few tapestries, and then duct tape everything closed
maybe air pockets between the tapestries would absorb some of the shock?
Velocity

Postby SMOMW » Sun May 21, 2006 10:38 pm

well.... build a frame from straws, like most are suggesting. super glue the straws so that they stay pretty much intact.... oh... get bendy straws. the ones that make an L shape.

so.... take your egg and build a cradle that will fit around the egg, out of duct tape and straw peices. glue the egg inside the cradle if you're allowed to.

then off the bottom of the cradle put as many "spider legs" of bendy straws coming down. I mean a bunch and you might tape them together making each leg 2 straws thick. Put the short end of the bendy part closest to the egg.

then from the top of the cradle put a LONG length of straws and put a bunch of duct tape streamers on the end of that "antenae" of straws.

the idea is for the antenae and streamers to keep the thing upright to land on the legs. The legs are basically big shock absorbers. the straws will bend and break the eggs fall..... or that's the idea. and your not useing anything but straws, glue, and tape....
SMOMW

Postby theexp » Mon May 22, 2006 7:20 pm

Oooo you can "inject" hot glue into straws to make them rigid. which might help for the frame's rigidity. I'm liking the "spider legs" with an air cushion suspended egg idea.
theexp

Postby Spike » Tue May 23, 2006 5:44 pm

How about using a camcorder to film an egg sitting on the table and then toss the TAPE out the window instead? :p

Or the gangsta sollution;
Use black straws and ducttape to form a fake gun, and use it to treathen someone into catching the egg "or else". :D
Spike

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Projects