Go-Kart Project

Post stuff here pertaining to non-spud related projects that many forum members seem to enjoy. Hovercrafts, dirt bikes, electronics, propane-powered bikes, go-karts, etc. This is more of a project area,
not a place to chat about what you saw yesterday on TV. Remember to keep it within the forum rules!

Postby robomatic12 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:35 pm

I am in the process of building a gokart. The main engine is a 6HP Briggs and Stratton modified for a Scotts lawnmower. It has a horizontal drive shaft as well as a vertical one. I think I might have to gear it up/down (forget which way) to get a higher rpm of the shaft. Since it was geared to slowly drive the lawn mower. My dad works at a Stainless shop so most parts are easy to get. The mail frame rails are made out of steel or iron (forget :D) from those fork lift trays(these lift 1000+ pound stainless washers). They have a square C shape so I can mount stuff on the inside of the C. I am going to get some 8-10" diameter tires that were made for a wheel barrow or a small ATV. If anyone has built one I am interested in how you build yours or any tips/info.
robomatic12

Postby chimera » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:21 pm

It's not really an exact science.

But what is it you’re looking for. Are you looking for an off road rugged terrain kind of thing or a nice fast lawn cart?

I built one and shortly after that I tore it apart and there it sits because it wasn’t what I wanted. When I built it, it was a lawn cart. I think it would do about 20+ no prob. and that was fast for dudlin around the yard but I couldn’t take it off road and I wanted an off road cart.

I ended up taking a chain driven 4 wheeler rear end and welding it up to the cart frame. I haven’t gotten it back together yet because I need a hub for the axle and I need rims and tires. :? I should just bye the stupid things and get it over with.
chimera

Postby robomatic12 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:29 pm

Well there is a huge terf field behind my house (farm area) and its pretty flat and I am going to have tires that will have traction but nothing to rip the grass. So I guess that wont count as off road :)
robomatic12

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Projects