Morning Wood Launcher

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby BigBang » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:47 pm

Gentlemen,

Here is my latest build - my second pneumatic. It is not terribly original, I'm afraid. I wanted a "universal" pneumatic platform that I could use with multiple barrels. So far I have a golfball barrel (1.5" SDR21 sleaved into 2" SCH80) and a regular 1.5" SCH40 tater barrel. I also have a source for 2.5" SCH40 to make a tennis ball barrel, but I just haven't gotten around to going to get it. You will see that I borrowed D_Hall's 00Wood valving idea. It appears to work exceptionally well, though as yet I've only had the chance to do some dry firing in the garage to see if everything works.

The first two pictures below show the valve system. The plug in the 1" valve is only there to keep out the spiders when storred in my basement. It is, of course, removed before use.

http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploa ... gWoodA.jpg
http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploa ... gWoodB.jpg

The next picture shows the whole launcher. It is about four feet long with the 30" golf ball barrel shown in this picture.

http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploa ... gWoodC.jpg

This last picture is the "fueling" system I put together with this launcher in mind.

http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploa ... ystem1.jpg

For reference, the air reservoir is double walled 3" SCH40 and has a volume of about 190 cu.in. The two inch Orbit valve is piloted by a 1" orbit valve, which is in turn piloted by a blowgun. The vent on the two inch valve is 9/16" in diameter. Using the GGDT for this valve arrangement that D_Hall uses for his 00Wood, GGDT predicts a maximum golfball velocity of 441 fps using CO2 at a maximum pressure of 120psi. That translates into 300 mph! Watch out Tiger Woods!

Now if I can just find a place to play.

Enjoy,
BigBang
BigBang

Postby blowemupspudguy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:56 pm

I like that, just be sure to allways remove that cap before fireing, it could make a bad day if it shot off and hit you.
blowemupspudguy

Postby BillyBobJoe » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:17 pm

WOW! Excellent job, very clean as are all of your cannons - I like the paint job and the CO2 setup especially:D Where'd you get that massive valve?
BillyBobJoe

Postby Mr.Plow » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:30 pm

SLICK!

Excellent construction. Top notch!
Mr.Plow

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby ybott » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:35 pm

That is a beautiful cannon, very clean !! , you *could* add a barrel support near the end of the chamber, this would put less stress on the join with the valve.
ybott

Postby BigBang » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:46 pm

BillyBobJoe...
I got the big valve from Home Depot's website. They had the best price I could find. It is only available online from Home Depot too. Here's the big honkin' link:

<a href="http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&N=2984+5777&cm_ven=hd_goog&cm_cat=Search&cm_pla=HD&cm_ite=bid10130339-home_depot">Long Link</a>

Ybott...
I agree. A spacer/support is the next addition. I had one built that would secure the chamber to the barrel, then I though, DOH! I don't want to do that. I want to make the barrels interchangable. I'll work on a support to go between the chamber and the outer edge of the big valve.

All...
Thanks for you kind comments. It annoys my wife to no end when I go out to the garage to build on one of my toys. If it wasn't for you guys I'd have no reason to continue. 8)

<edit>
Well the link above doesn't take you where it should. Just go to Home Depot's website and search on 2" Orbit Sprinker Valves and you'll find the big valve. It goes for ~$68 + S/H.
<edit>
BigBang

Postby BewareOfDog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:00 pm

BigBang, as always, you've outdone yourself! Your launcher is absolutley beautiful.

I feel like a dummy for asking, but what exactly is "double-walled" 3 inch SCH40??
And I can remember one of my first pnuematics, I used a Bell Reudcer fitting for it, but have shyed away from them since then because they look to be too weak. It's sad, because I love the look of them as compared to the flat Reducer Bushings.

I can see that the pipe itself matches the diameter of the components, and was wondering if you can enlighten us with some construction details. It gives the whole chamber such a "clean" look.
BewareOfDog

Postby davidbowie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:18 pm

DR, double-walled means, in this case, that he has (correct me if i'm wrong) sanded the lips out of a few 3" couplings, and slid them over the pipe between the components, creating a smooth exterior, and added safety.

I totally agree with you about the bell reducers. I think mcmaster sells pressure rated ones, but the usual kind are DWV.
davidbowie

Postby shadowscion » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:08 pm

Nice, I love it. Nice paintjob :P
shadowscion

Postby Navigator7 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:03 pm

Big Bang
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Using the GGDT for this valve arrangement that D_Hall uses for his 00Wood, GGDT predicts a maximum golfball velocity of 441 fps using CO2 at a maximum pressure of 120psi. That translates into 300 mph! Watch out Tiger Woods!

Now if I can just find a place to play.

Enjoy,
BigBang
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think a good club head speed for guys in Tiger's league is around 140 mph.
I know your ball will go further than any pro....but can you putt!

And oh.....Pretty!
Navigator7

Next

Return to Finished Cannons