Morning Wood Launcher

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby ybott » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:36 pm

yeh, sch40 and sch80 have the same OD, this means only things like reducers wont work when 'mixing' sch40 and sch80.

p.s. sgort, i know i will regret saying this but......i think your a little bit of a post-wh0re and if you took a little time to think about your replies we'd value your opinion higher than we currently do. You're replies are often useful but unfortunately are spoilt by some of your perhaps mis-guided attempts of help....anyway i dont mean to insult you...just to inform you of how to be more helpful and to protect you from DR lol
ybott

Postby sgort87 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:09 pm

<font color="green">*Bangs head against wall for being retarded.*
Why did I convince myself that the outer diameter changed? I'm not sure how I did that seeing as I have done that before. Okay, applogies for that, but one should still not use couplers for extra strength like that. Find sch 80 and use that.

And yes, I guess "post-wh0re" would be an accurate decstiption of me. I have had a bit too much time available lately which allows me to sit on the computer all day and find that the only thing that seems interesting anymore is the forum here. I do take time to make intellectual posts most of the time, but sometimes I do find myself posting absolute garbage when I am lazy and do not check my facts which I usually do. All it would have taken was a quick check on mcmaster and I would have avoided all of this trouble. This would be one of those garbage posts with the exception of the fact that I BELIEVE one should still not do this even with sch 80 fittings.

Edit: P.S. It was an assumption of mine that he would use sch 40 fittings seeing as he was having trouble finding sch 80 pipe. Chances of his stores carrying 4" sch 80 fittings and not the pipe is almost nonexistant.
sgort87

Postby BewareOfDog » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>Originally posted by sgort87</b>
Why do you assume I know nothing? Did you read what I wrote there?...

{Blah, Blah, Blah...}

And please by all means tell me what I was incorrect about in previous posts. One reason being is that I do not think there were any comments I said that were blatently wrong. The other is that I accept being wrong if someone can give me the proper answer. I do not like to be wrong which is why I welcome corrections. I enjoy being safe in my experiments thank you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

O.K., you ready?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Fryman, NO! Do not do that. The weak parts will be the fittings.

The weak part will be the small gap that still exists <b>between</b> the fittings.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Hybrids must be made of ALL sch 80 parts.

A hybrid, constructed from ALL SCH40 pipe and components is fine for 2x/2atm mixes. And seeing as how ANY quality SCH<b>80</b> "Union" is only rated to 235psi anyway, 3x/3atm and higher mixes are dangerous PERIOD.

The fittings need more strength than the pipe does.

A properly solvent-welded PVC component has a shear strength of approximately 900psi. The double-walled area of pipe AND component is still just as weak as the rest of the exposed pipe, if subjected to shock loads or impact.

Sch 80 fittings will not fit on sch 40 pipe anyways.NO! Bad!

The only thing "Bad!" here is the fact that it was the fourth incorrect statement. I've often solvent-welded many different SCH80 components over SCH40 pipe, and have solvent-welded SCH40 components over SCH80 pipe.

You lead me to believe one of two things:

1.) You are simply misinformed.

2.) You have no idea what you're talking about most of the time.

EDIT: I now realize (just after posting this) that my reply is a little late. But it IS, nevertheless, an accurate assessment.
BewareOfDog

Postby sgort87 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:36 am

<font color="green">The first statement I MEANT to write "The weakpoints will be AT the fittings." Mainly and was also suggesting that by using sch40 fittings it would be less safe than using sch80.

As for the second I honestly do not know what I meant by that at all and wish to recant the entire sentance.

The third statement is an opinion because of my concern with safety. I believe any hybrid gun with parts over 2" in diameter SHOULD be made with sch80. Though it is "safe" for 2x mixes I find it risky. Even if a sch 80 union is iffy, it is much safer than using a sch 40 union.

I already realized what was wrong with the 4th statement and corrected and appologized for my complete mix-up in the post at the top of this page.
sgort87

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Finished Cannons