QCTBDC: Something Different

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby sgort87 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:45 pm

I have never made a burst disc cannon (hybrids don't count) and I decided why stop at a plain burst disc gun when I can make a challenge of it?

I have been thinking about the discussions on triggering burst discs for a while and thought it would be nice to have an easier way to do it than using two unions and all that.

I decided to also cure the problem of burst discs being a royal pain in the ass to replace.

This is it what I came up with: The Quick-Change Triggered Burst Disc Cannon. I'd like to let my video do all the talking. (Be sure to open in Full-Screen.)

<center><a href="http://media.putfile.com/QCTBDC"><font size=3><b>The QCTBDC</b></font></a>

Enjoy. :D
sgort87

Postby An Apple Pie » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:51 pm

That is awesome. How did you come up with this one?

How does it seal against the aluminum?
An Apple Pie

Postby PotatoNick » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:53 pm

beautiful
PotatoNick

Postby sgort87 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:57 pm

Ah, right, I guess I should explain that stuff.

What it is, is a lathed union inside of 2.5" pipe with o-rings on it (like a piston) that locks against the other union piece held in place on the front. Air pressure keeps it held in place naturally. All I have to do is bring the "piston" up to the aluminum and it sticks right on.

I tapped into the broadhead and threaded it onto a threaded rod which then threads into the pneumatic cylinder.

This is a prototype model which is why the barrel is not cemented in, stickers are not removed, and it's using "Kevin's" chamber.
sgort87

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby killagorrila99 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:15 am

DAMB SWEET FREEKON JESUS AND MARY WORTH!
God I love it ! how did you make the broad head system?
killagorrila99

Postby MrCrowley » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:24 am

Sounds like an awesome gun but my WMP is stuffed up the colours for me and I cant see a damn thing.....but it sounds great :D
MrCrowley

Postby Velocity » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:41 am

Incredible... this is easily one of the coolest things I have ever seen! I thought that your new hybrid was sick... this is even better!

Definitely try to see how much power you get out of this... Man, im truly speechless!

EDIT: I nominate this cannon for extraordinary...DAMN THIS THING IS COOL!
Velocity

Postby clide » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:17 am

Very nice, I love the quick change burst disc system.

The trigger system is much like one I used on a <a href="http://forums.spudtech.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3802">valve</a> awhile back. I had issues with the way the discs burst with aluminum being the worst. By making a tip that went around the edge of the disk the problem was pretty much fixed, but it choaked flow some. Did you have any of the issues or did it always break clean through like in the video? What kind of pressures have you been shooting it at?
clide

Postby sgort87 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:35 am

I had problems like that with soda bottles but not with aluminum. They always break clean except sometimes they have one flat edge (small). I think because the broadhead is used, it allows it to rip up nicely.

Soda bottles get a hole punched in them and they don't rip much further.

I shoot around 60-100 psi with this.
sgort87

Postby BewareOfDog » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:16 am

Now this is truly unique!
I was just thinking about a controlled burst-disc system, on the way home from work today, but nothing even remotely as clever as this! 8)

I'd bet that all of us would like to know what size the "porting" is on this and a lot more detail of the internals! That is, unless you are going to sell this on your website? ;)

I'm nominating this in Cannon Competition right now...
Awesome job, Sean!
BewareOfDog

Next

Return to Finished Cannons